EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SSHBBoxCli.dll needs to be reregistered after install.

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 09/11/2006 10:36:25
by Bill Armstrong (Basic support level)

I've got a strange installation issue that I'm hoping you can shed some light on.

We're currently doing development with version 5.0 Beta (build 96). After installing our product we are unable to connect to the server using the ElSimpleSSHClient class. The error that we receive is "Connection Lost". Both SSHBBoxCli.dll and BaseBBox.dll are being registered properly by the installer. I know this for two reasons. When either one is not installed we get the error "Class Not Registered" (as you would expect), and I've looked at the registry to confirm that both are registered.

The strange thing is that after installing, if I manually reregister SSHBBoxCli.dll the problem goes away and we can connect to the server no problem.

Any ideas?
Posted: 09/11/2006 11:27:43
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Can it be that the installer runs under system account (and not local user account)? then registration is only partially successful.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/11/2006 14:43:44

I'm running the installer interactively as Administrator. Here is a little more info for you. I've compared the before and after HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT hives and before I reregister the DLL the class SSHBBoxCli.ElSSHCliLicenseManagerX is missing. When I manually reregister, this class gets added. Is there anything different about this class that would prevent it from getting registered from the within the installer?

I'm going to continue investigating this issue. If I discover anything else of note I'll let you know.
Posted: 09/11/2006 14:57:00

I don't know how your installer works, but as I understand all it does is call DllRegisterServer() function. You do the same by calling regsvr32. So I see absolutely no difference ...

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/11/2006 16:19:32

Crap! My session must have timed out. I've got to type this all over again.

Anyway, I figured out the problem. It appears as though the order in which you register the DLL's matters. If you register SSHBBoxCli.dll before registering BaseBBox.dll, everything gets registered properly except for the class that I mentioned in my previous post. By default Windows installer registers DLL's in any old order. I can fix the issue by specifying a specific order in which the DLL's need to be registered.

As a result of my experience, here is some user feedback.

First, update your deployment chapter to explicity state that the DLL's MUST be registered in a specific order.

Second, if a DLL can not register completely, it should return an error indicating that registration failed. Currently SSHBBoxCli.dll does not return an error if it is unable to register the ElSSHCliLicenseManagerX class. This makes it look like the DLL was registered successfully when in fact it was not.

Lastly could you please enhance the Open method of the ElSimpleSSHClient class to return more useful error messages than "Connection Lost". I've seen this error in a wide variety of circumstances, many of which are misleading. For example if you don't enter a license key you get this error. Instead the error should state something like "You have not entered a valid license key". If the user does not enter the correct user name or password you also get the "Connection Lost" error. The error should state something like "The user could not be verified because the credentials were incorrect". "Connection Lost" just sounds like there is a network problem or something.

Anyway, thanks for your time.
Posted: 09/12/2006 01:07:08

Thank you for pointing at the issue. It looks like a conflicting class ID. So this is the only thing to be fixed, the rest is not necessary.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/09/2011 04:55:47
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

Try to replace BaseBBox.ElSBLicenseManagerX with BaseBBox8.ElSBLicenseManagerX.
Posted: 09/09/2011 05:14:23
by Vsevolod Ievgiienko (EldoS Corp.)

Does the problem occure on the PC where the SBB is installed using our installer or on another one? Our installer deploys DLLs automaticaly so you do not need to follow deployment steps described in the help. Try to remove SBB and install it again.
Posted: 09/09/2011 05:15:11
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

1) Please create new forum topics for new questions, as this will help making the information more organized and easy to find for the users. For now let's continue the discussion here, but please ask all further questions in dedicated topics.

2) The issue is very likely to be caused by missing component registration. Please run the following commands manually from the directory where SBB DLLs reside and check if it resolves the issue:

regsvr32 BaseBBox8.dll
regsvr32 SSHBBoxCli8.dll
regsvr32 SFTPBBoxCli8.dll
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Topic viewed 3608 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!