EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

PKIBlackbox vs OpenPGPBlackbox

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 03/23/2010 17:52:35
by Nathan Sutcliffe (Standard support level)

I'm already using SSLBlackbox successfully, but I need to be able to encrypt and decrypt arbitrary data using asymmetrical encryption. Both the PKIBlackbox and OpenPGPBlackbox can do that, right?

Currently, my code will be doing the encrypting and decrypting, but in the future it might be nice for a third party to be able to decrypt the contents of a file or a database field, assuming I provide them a key in some standard format.

Which SecureBlackbox product would be best for me?
Posted: 03/23/2010 23:51:27
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

Either OpenPGP- or PKI (PKCS#7)-based solution can be used to accomplish this task. Both standards support encryption for several different keys (or certificates in the case of PKI), allowing one to define the set of recipients who will be able to decrypt the data in future. PKI standard provides slightly higher flexibility than OpenPGP (namely, it allows to place custom attributes to the encrypted message). From the other hand, there are too few third-party PKI encryption tools available on the market, so the recipients might face decryption issues unless you provide them with the appropriate decryption software.

Statistics

Topic viewed 777 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!