EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Server-friendly settings for TElSimpleSFTPClient

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 03/17/2010 03:38:25
by Frank Munsberg (Standard support level)

Hi,

Are there any settings that I could change in the TElSimpleSFTPClient (7.1.163) to make it more server-friendly ?
Basically I currently want to treat our SFTP Server like a "raw egg" for the time being since it has become massively unstable lately. Performance is secondary right now as this is more like a fight for survival.

We're trying to put out the fires on different fronts and anything could help
Right now everything should be on default values.

Greetings
Frank
Posted: 03/17/2010 06:32:36
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

The first thing to do is disable all SFTP versions besides version 3, then disable pipelining (set AutoAdjustBufferSize to false, then set PipelineLength to 1).

But if you are having problems with some particular server, it's easier to tune-up the component for that server. If you give us the list of problems (at least where to start looking from), we'll be able to inspect them and see what can be done.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/17/2010 09:17:59

The SFTP Server is a WS_FTP 7.5 that announces itself as WS_FTP-SSH_7.5

I'll go ahead and disable pipelining like you suggest. The SFTP Versions seem to be set via an enum in the namespace SBSftpCommon that I can't find. According to the help file, setting .Versions = 8 should result to version 3 so I'll try that way.

long ago we also solved a similar issue where I also disabled pipelining for an older WS_FTP 6 version. The logs of the installations back then showed protocol errors a lot.

The current list of problems is pretty chaotic. Things that repeat quite often are log messages like
"host cache in bad state"
error at the command "init" that says "unable to obtain landing folder"
"NullReferenceException, Object not set to an instance of an object at SSHServer.API.Subsystem.UpdateCurrentObjects

Sometimes the server survives and sometimes it struggles for a few minutes and becomes unresponsive to clients. The windows services seem to run but no one can connect.

Today a colleague did a fresh install of the machine on a new Win2008 x64 system which went live an hour ago. I hope that already makes things better but the night will tell.
Before, we were running WS_FTP 7 pretty fine so we suspect either the whole 7.5 version or just the particular installation has issues.

I hope with the disabled pipelining and SFTP Version set to 3 things might get better. Are there other things to change as well?

Greetings
Frank
Posted: 03/17/2010 09:44:58

From your description it looks like either a problem with the server host, or with the server version itself. I guess you'd need to contact the server's developers at the first place.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/17/2010 10:03:23

It looks like the server and our self-developed client using SBB don't get along well. A colleague informed me that seemingly users with a WS_FTP clients don't cause the problems. Currently there are about 50 of them and about 100 or so connecting via SBB.

Anyway, are there any other settings than the pipelining and versions that I could set?

greetings
Frank
Posted: 03/17/2010 10:37:27

That's the known problem of some servers - their vendors test them only with their own client software (where available) and any deviations are left unnoticed.

No, there's not much else you can do or change.

And given that the SFTP client component is very stable (the only adaptations we make for different servers are basically automatic adjustment of certain settings for each particular server when it's detected), I still think it's a good idea to contact WS_FTP developers.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/18/2010 03:33:56

Allright, I'll use these settings then and see what happens.

What you say about testing is probably right. There will always be some slight deviations from vendor to vendor.

On a sidenote, the reinstall of the server did make things somewhat better. I'll try to post back how the update with the changed settings turned out. It might take a while to update everything though.

Greetings
Frank
Posted: 04/09/2010 01:30:50

Well it seems the new installation of the WS_FTP Server itself got rid of our problems.
Either the whole installation was somehow broken or this Postgres SQL Database that came bundled with the installation was too slow. From what I've heard the whole administration part got a lot faster too because the current installation uses a MS SQL Database. Probably the database was starving the server.

Greetings
Frank
Posted: 04/09/2010 01:53:40
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Great, thank you for letting us know.
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2724 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!