EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

PDF/A or PAdES support

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 03/03/2010 06:27:49
by irsantonio (Basic support level)

Hi, i need to implement PDF/A or PAdES signing of PDF documents. I've reviewed the PDF signer sample but don't know the compliance with both standards. Is it possible to get PDF/A or PAdES signatures?
Posted: 03/03/2010 06:39:05
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

Neither standard is supported by SBB at the moment. It is likely that we will implement PAdES for SBB 8.1. There are no plans for PDF/A support though, as this standard is quite complicated and in general does not have relation to PDF security (which we specialize in).
Posted: 03/03/2010 06:47:06
by Santiago Castaño (Standard support level)

Excuse me for getting into this thread but it's also of my interest.

As Ivanov said, PDF/A is a standard that has to be take into account while creating the PDF file, as PDF/A ensures de long-term visualization of the PDF file.

PAdES is a standard for long-term signatures, and here's where i've got a question... what is missing SBB to be PAdES compatible, i've read the PAdES document in summer and i understood that we have everything in our hands, we have TSP + OCSP, and i only saw a few optional properties not mandatory in the standard missing in SBB, but as they were optional i thought that a PDF signed with TSP + OCSP was a PAdES-XL.

What's missing? and it's really interesting to reach the PAdES standard asap then :).
Posted: 03/03/2010 06:54:14
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

We actually didn't investigate the topic yet - it's in the ToDo list but not started. It's very likely that the required changes are minimal (such as a couple of checks here and there, some properties adjusted etc.).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/03/2010 06:56:28

We actually didn't investigate the topic yet - it's in the ToDo list but not started. It's very likely that the required changes are minimal (such as a couple of checks here and there, some properties adjusted etc.).

Thanks Eugene i think the same :)
Posted: 03/03/2010 09:44:43

Ok, thanks for the responses. Regarding PADES, as Santiago said, to be compatible with ETSI specification it's necesary that the signature and additional info are stored inside a CAdES envelope or XAdES for PADES-XML. Is SBB storing this info as CAdES?
Posted: 03/03/2010 11:05:35

As i could see when i looked at it, it's storing the information into a PKCS#7 format, and as OCSP and TSP was included i thought it was CMS/CAdES but i really only supposed it, let's see what's the next response to clarify it :)
Posted: 03/03/2010 12:33:25

No, SBB does not use CAdES in PDF signatures at the moment. Instead, revocation information is stored in separate PDF-specific attributes (as defined by PDF 1.7; those attributes are somewhat similar to CAdES, though incompatible with the latter). However, support for both CAdES and XAdES standards is actually implemented in SBB, so extending PDFBlackbox with PAdES signatures support should not be a complex task.
Posted: 03/04/2010 06:45:01

Ok, thanks a lot. The last question: is there any way using SBB to include these kind of external signatures?
Posted: 03/04/2010 14:58:18

No, there is no way to pass a custom signature value to the component. Sorry.
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1785 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!