EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Something wierd wuth PGPWriter and Encrypt

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 08/24/2006 15:08:26
by zhenghong zhao (Basic support level)

1. Sometimes I encrypt a file or a string from a public key in a file or a string.

2. Whatever I do in encryption, I should set PgpWriter.FileName to something not null and empty.
Without or with setting this property, the encryption can success always. But it can be decrypted in some scenarios, but can't be decrypted in some other scenarios. Especially for the case of public key in a string, there is no filename assocaited, I passes a string of "UselessFileName" to PGPWriter.FileName, then the encryption and following decryption can success.
Posted: 08/24/2006 15:30:09
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

what exactly does "can't be decrypted" mean? what error message are you getting?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/24/2006 17:41:37

"can't decrypted" happens in the following scenario:

1. I use a public key of one company, and encryt with their public key, encryption success, but they can't decrypt the file I encrypted.

2. When I add the following statement to PGPWriter as follows: PGPWriter.FileName="UselessFileName", then the decryption of that company success.

3. The above decryption problem doesn't happen when I encrypt the file with my own public key, which is generated by SecureBlackBox, whatever the statement of PGPWriter.FileName="something" is present or not.
Posted: 08/25/2006 00:56:47

Please answer the question: what exactly does "can't be decrypted" mean? what error message are you getting?
I am not asking for description of the process - just about the error message.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/25/2006 23:01:45

I know what you want, but there is no error message from SecureBlackBox since the encryption success as I said in my last post. The error message is from the company who decrypt the file, which just showed that the file couldn't be decrypted.

It is very clear that you can find something unreasonable out in my last post.
Posted: 08/27/2006 09:10:15

Unfortunately "it doesn't work" is not something that we can work with. We need to know the exact details - what software is used and what error message is received.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/27/2006 12:07:24

You may ask your developers to check out what difference may have with setting PGPWriter.FileName="UselessFileName" and setting PGPWriter.FileName="".

Thank you.
Posted: 08/27/2006 12:23:44

The difference is described in the knowledgebase, in /Technical Questions/PGP section.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/27/2006 12:25:36

In brief, -- you must set the name of the file, otherwise the data is marked as "for your eyes only". And yet we need the error message from the user.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/27/2006 15:28:34

Whatever the correct way for PGPWriter to work, I think it is not reasonable to set the filename when PGPWriter use a public key from a string/memory, instead from a file.

Thanks for the help.
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 11176 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!