EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Using SecureBlackbox on Visual Studio 2010

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 01/22/2010 11:22:21
by Greg  (Standard support level)

Howdy y'all,

I am attempting to move my development from an older machine to a newer machine.

This new machine is Windows 7, 64-bit and the Visual Studio is the 2010 Beta 2

I'm sure that this configuation is not (yet) supported, but I'm willing to bet it's being worked on and I'm hoping to get your components installed correctly with your help.

I installed VS2010 (clean, no prior VS on this machine) and all went well. I then copied over my entire solution and opened it and 2010 converted it from 2008 to 2010. No problems were indicated.

I then installed the SecureBlackbox (.net, chose 2.0 [not compact] for 2005 & 2008). Of course, no 2010 integration option was available and the rest were grey.

The installation had two issues:

First, 2010 wasn't listed as an integration item (no surprise there).

Second, I got a message about H2reg.exe: "** Error ** MS Help 2.x runtime files are not installed on this PC. Installation/registration of Help files cannot proceed."

On this second item, the help files work just fine despite the above message. I suspect that's because MS help is a different version (I think 3).

When I try to build the project, i get a bunch of messages about not finding the components (again, no surprise as the integration option for 2010 was not there).

Now, that I've gotten this far, how do I make the components available to VS2010? I tried placing a reference to SecureBlackbox in the project but that didn't change a thing. Do I need to "copy" the assemblies to the GAC? If so, how?

The message I get is: "Warning 1 Could not resolve this reference. Could not locate the assembly "SecureBlackbox, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5a62fa96d0ac431a, processorArchitecture=MSIL". Check to make sure the assembly exists on disk. If this reference is required by your code, you may get compilation errors."

"Warning 7 The referenced component 'SecureBlackbox' could not be found."

This same message is repeated for several of the components.

Posted: 01/22/2010 11:58:08
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

As far as I know (we didn't check the beta of VS 2010 yet), Visual Studio 2010 comes with .NET 4.0 which (unlike 3.0 and 3.5) is a brand new version of .NET Framework. As such it doesn't consume .NET 2.0 assemblies.

We will provide 4.0 assemblies in SecureBlackbox 8, which is planned for release for March or April (this depends on when we get VS 2010 release and when our helper tools such h2reg are updated for VS 2010).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/22/2010 11:59:42

Forgot to add:
1) you will get free upgrade to SBB 8 when it's released (this is just to remind you :)
2) most likely we will include new assemblies to the beta version of SBB 8. But we are still not ready to present SBB 8 beta.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/22/2010 12:39:17
by Greg  (Standard support level)

Eugene, Thank you for the reply.

Yes, VS2010 does use the 4.0 stuff itself.

However, I am specifying my build for .Net 2.0 (just re-verified this) because I don't really need the 3.x (& 4.x) functionalities for this project.

That being the case, I didn't think I needed any other versions of the dlls. Is this not correct?

OK, further examination noted that I was looking for and I had downloaded the newest set of componets and they were I simply deleted the references to the old .167 and added replacement references to .168

The project then compiled cleanly!

Posted: 01/22/2010 13:20:47

Ok, it's great to know that it worked.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/09/2010 15:21:16
by David Hudspeth (Basic support level)

Does the upgrade to SBB for anybody who has a license of a previous version? I am in a similar condition now where I am trying to Port an application of ours which uses SBB version 6 to the .Net 4 Framework.
Posted: 12/10/2010 00:54:54

Moved to HelpDesk

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Topic viewed 4367 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!