EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

thread error with SSHSFTPServerDemo

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 12/28/2009 18:55:35
by Michael Philbrick (Standard support level)

I slightly modified the demo application to function as an SFTP server. It generally operates fine, but every day or two it pops up with a "thread error" message which then locks up the application. Because this application runs unattended, I have another application which monitors it and restarts it if it does not check back in. This makes it impossible for me to know when and how the error was generated.

I have another application (based on the SFTP client demo) that logs into the server every few hours to check for new files. It does multiple log in/log out sequences, one time for each client we support. It generally locks up during this process -- I know this because the other application keeps a log of its connections.

Two questions:
1) is there a way I can trap a generic "thread error" so that it writes the message to a log instead of popping a dialog?

2) are there issues with rapid cycling of log in/log out events, and can (as I assume would be the case) the server support an "unlimited" number of simultanous connections.

Please excuse me, I know very little about SFTP, and, of course, that is why I am relying on your product?
Posted: 12/29/2009 00:29:00
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

The very first thing to do would be to localize the place where the mentioned "thread error" does occur. Can you please answer the following questions:
1) What is the exact error message? Does it contain some other description besides the "thread error" itself?
2) Did you have a chance to notice some particular circumstances under which the error occurs (e.g., right after client connection has been accepted, closed etc.)?

are there issues with rapid cycling of log in/log out events, and can (as I assume would be the case) the server support an "unlimited" number of simultanous connections.

The maximal number of supported incoming connections is only limited by the productivity characteristics of the physical server system (there are no software limitations). How many connections does your server intend to accept at the moment?
Posted: 12/30/2009 11:07:29
by Michael Philbrick (Standard support level)

I have some of the information. I am still refining a way to capture the dialog before the application is automatially restrarted.

This is what I know so far:
It makes it about halfway through this "loop" -- probably 40 or so cycles of connects and disconnects, one right after the other. The error occurs during connection, because the last messages that fire are
a) RefreshClientInfo(ServerThread: TSSHServerThread) -> ssConnecting is displayed
b) TSSHServerThread.OnSrvOpen(Sender : TObject) -> SSH Connection Established.

However, the client does not receive a confirmation of connection -- when I call SftpClient.Open from the client, it returns the error code 10060.

Unfortunately, I am not yet able to see the actual error dialog on the server side because when my monitoring application takes a screen shot, the operating system has already placed an "application not responding" dialog on top of the error dialog.

Based on what I have provided, could you tell me what happens after the two events listed above and before it returns a successful connection status to the client? I can then trace into your code and maybe narrow down where the error might be generated.

I will continue to gather more information as I am able.

How many connections does your server intend to accept at the moment?

Is there something I need to set up on the server, or are you asking me how many simultaneous connections I am expecting? I would anticipate over time probably no more than 10-20 simulteous connections. If the server requires configuration, could you possibly point me to some information about this? I am completely ignorant on this subject.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1479 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!