EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Deployment Problem on windows XP

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 11/06/2009 02:18:14
by johnny  (Standard support level)

Hi,
I have tried to deploy my application (SFTP and SSH clients are used) in another Windows XP computer but simply copy all the exe files and assemblies to the destination computer.

I always encounter a problem "Application has encountered a problem and needs to close".

I tried to deploy completely without SBB, the application is running fine.

I have copied over all the assemblies suggested:
SecureBlackbox.dll, SecureBlackbox.SSHCommon.dll, SecureBlackbox.SSHClient.dll, SecureBlackbox.SFTPCommon.dll and SecureBlackbox.SFTP.dll.

Please advice,

The application is working fine in my development computer running with Windows XP + Visual Express 2008.
Posted: 11/06/2009 02:27:05

TO add on:

I have tried to copy over the built-in sample application installed with the SBB to the destination computer: SimpleSFTPClient.

Same result that it works fine in my development pc but receives the same error in the destination pc.

kindly advice or Do I need to install those assemblies in GAC?
Posted: 11/06/2009 15:14:03
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

I always encounter a problem "Application has encountered a problem and needs to close".

Are there any other messages reported about the reason for the problem?

First of all, yes, it makes sense to try installing the assemblies to the GAC. However, putting them near the executable should also help.

Please also check that you are copying the correct set of assemblies. SecureBlackbox installation includes several assembly sets (.NET 1.1, .NET 2.0, .NET CF etc.), and copying the wrong ones may result in the problem you are encountering.
Posted: 11/08/2009 07:45:58

unfortunately there is no other error message even I execute the sample applications provided by SBB.

I don't think it's the wrong libraries I am copying as those dll assemblies are actually auto copied into my debug folder when I debug my application in the development server.

I could try whatever testing applications in my pc to identify the problem if you have any executable files.

Feel free to send to my email: johnny@pan-tone.com.sg

meanwhile I will try to install the assemblies in the GAC and see what's the response.

thanks for your assistance.

johnny
Posted: 11/08/2009 21:30:40

Latest Update:

I have confirmed the problem is due to the versions of those libraries.

As I added the 7.0.1.160 version to my Visual Express 2008 and developed the application, recently I updated to the latest version of 7.0.1.163, it seems that the VB.NET application is still using the older version rather than the latest.

How can I force VB.net to use the latest SFTP and SSH clients?
Posted: 11/09/2009 01:18:33
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Now I see. The assemblies included to 7.1.160 were digitally signed. It is possible that your production system was unable to validate the integrity of those assemblies for some reason and decided to silently close the application. However, you are the first person whose system exposes such symptoms.

Nevertheless, we abandoned the idea of signing the assemblies in 7.1.161 build due to other problems (too long application load time in some environments).

The easiest way to make the IDE and your application use the latest SBB build is to completely uninstall all the installed SBB versions and set up 7.1.163 from scratch.
Posted: 11/11/2009 02:18:51

Thanks Ivanov for your clarification.

However as all the libraries invoked by my VB applications are currently using 7.1.160, does it mean I need to create my VB interface starting from scratch and copy over those codes after SBB fresh installation?

Do I need to repeat the steps againn for future upgrade?

Or it's good to stay with 7.1.160 version?
Posted: 11/11/2009 02:32:55
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

johnny wrote:
However as all the libraries invoked by my VB applications are currently using 7.1.160, does it mean I need to create my VB interface starting from scratch and copy over those codes after SBB fresh installation?

No, you don't.

References in your project are version-specific, and you just need to make them be version-independent. There's a setting for this in project settings.

Alternatively just remove old references to these assemblies in your project, and add new references.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1593 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!