EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

UseRetransmissionTimer

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 10/30/2009 09:57:49
by Ken Ankele (Basic support level)

We are using the DTLS components to securely stream audio from a windows mobile device to a server. Our data connection is pretty unreliable. We have discovered that if we set UseRetransmissionTimer to true the mobile side rolls over and dies after a short while. Setting it to false prevents the app from crashing. However, when it is set to false sometimes it takes 3-4 attempts to make a "connection". So, my question is: Does changing the UseTransmissionTimer property on the fly have any effect. We are thinking of setting it to true until we have established the "connection", then changing it to false.

Thanks,

Ken
Posted: 10/30/2009 12:03:56
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

We have discovered that if we set UseRetransmissionTimer to true the mobile side rolls over and dies after a short while.

Can you please provide more details about the 'death' of the client side? Is some error returned? Do both server and client sides use SBB components? Retransmission timer is only used on negotiation stage, so the value of the UseRetransmissionTimer property does not have any effect on already negotiated data connection. It is also recommended to turn this property on (especially for unreliable connections) exactly due to the negotiation issues you have faced.
Posted: 10/31/2009 07:49:07

The client performs a warm reboot after about 30-60 seconds of operation (After the "connection" is established). Both sides are using the SSB components. The mobile side is an HTC Touch Diamond running windows mobile 6.1. When I am running in my dev environment through active sync I do not get this behavior. I see this behavior when running over WiFi or 3G.
Posted: 10/31/2009 08:57:06

Hmm, do you mean that the client OS crashes? And does turning UseRetransmissionTimer off always resolve the issue?
Posted: 10/31/2009 15:46:06

Yes, the client OS crashes. So far it has always resolved the issue but I haven't been testing for very long. With UseRetransmissionTimer set to true it crashed within 60 seconds 4 out of 4 times and with it off I ran 5, 15 minute tests and none of them crashed.
Posted: 11/02/2009 00:27:35

Thank you for the details. I will re-check the timer part of the code.

Retransmission timer is not used by the protocol after the secure "connection" is established, so you can freely turn it off once you are "connected".
Posted: 11/02/2009 08:27:05

Unfortunately, we were unable to reproduce the issue in our conditions. Would it be possible for you to take a look at the event log of your HTC device to check what exactly causes the reboot?
Posted: 11/05/2009 15:23:19

I would be happy to. Can you tell me what file is the event log and where it is located? I am also trying to duplicate with a simplistic app but so far have not been able to.
Posted: 11/06/2009 12:06:13

It seems that there is no log file available under Windows Mobile 6.1 :(. Sorry for misleading you.

Meanwhile, we tried to reproduce the issue in our conditions with the Windows Mobile HTC device. A small sample appeared to work fine in our conditions with the latest SecureBlackbox build. So if you are not running the latest build (7.2.165), it is a good idea to upgrade to it and check if the problem persists.
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1454 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!