EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Mutlipart MIME messages

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 10/23/2009 15:14:26
by Doug Eggleston (Basic support level)

We recently started using SecureBlackBox to send out emails, and I am getting reports from clients that emails we are sending using SecureBlackBox 7.1.163 are not displaying in Yahoo webmail, AOL, and some ISP email systems like AT&T; it displays the headers but no body. I can replicate the problem using a Yahoo account, but have been unable to figure out the reason why it is occurring. It only happens when I send a multipart message; plain text and regular html emails work fine.

The emails we have been sending out are multipart/related emails with an html part and images in the other parts. In debugging this I tried creating a multipart/alternative message with a plain text part and the original related part in the main MultiPartList, but yahoo still wouldn't render any of it.

There are very few differences between the emails generated before and after we started using SecureBlackBox, and I'm not an expert in MIME, but it looks like the boundary needs to be enclosed in double quotes when it is declared.

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

should be:

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

Is there something I am not doing correctly, or is it a bug?

Posted: 10/24/2009 09:05:01
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for the report.

While double quotes are not a requirement (they may be skipped), it's possible that some not-very-standard-compliant parser fails to handle the line without quotes. Our developer has put the quotes, tested Yahoo reader and said that the reader worked fine for him. So the next build (7.2 pre-release, which will be available tomorrow) will include quotes.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/26/2009 14:19:23
by Doug Eggleston (Basic support level)

It seems to be working in the 7.2.165 build. Thank you.

Topic viewed 1077 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!