EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Problems with 'System.ComponentModel.Component'

Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.
Posted: 10/15/2009 09:36:33
by Steffen Martin (Basic support level)

this is probably a no-brainer for everyone else. I'm basically trying to use SecureBlackBox components out of the Visual Studio Toolbox (e.g. TElHTTPSClient) in my .NET CF v3.5 based application. I have a bare bones project (just the form) and drag-and-dropped it onto the Designer. When compiling it I get the following error message:

The type 'System.ComponentModel.Component' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089'.

The actual component I dragg-and-dropped into my project is outlined as the culprit when double-clicking the error message. I've spent a couple of hours searching through forums and the internet trying to solve this silly issue but I wasn't successful. I'd appreciate any advice or hint where else to look to correct this issue and be able to move on with the actual job of writing the application.

Thank you!

Posted: 10/15/2009 09:43:38

Just an update with additional information on this:

The required references for using the selected SecureBlackBox component have automatically been added to the project. In the example of the componen 'TElHTTPSClient' it is 'SecureBlackbox', 'SecureBlackbox.HTTP', 'SecureBlackbox.SSLClient' and 'SecureBlackbox.SSLCommon'. To my knowledge 'System.ComponentModel.Component' is defined in 'System' which is also in the references list of the project. What am I missing?

Posted: 10/15/2009 09:57:46
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

You are using wrong assemblies. Installer installs different assembly sets for .NET and .NET CF. You are trying to use desktop assemblies in .NET CF application. What you need to do is (a) install .NET CF assemblies. They are not installed by default so be attentive with installer options, (b) add the reference to CF assemblies (they are located in <SecureBlackbox>Assemblies\NET_CF20) to your project. Components from .NET CF assemblies are not available via toolbox.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/15/2009 10:25:54

first of all thanks for the quick reply.

Second, I thought I am using/referencing the .NET CF 2.0 assemblies. You can actually (manually) add them to the Toolbox by means of picking the respective DLL's in the 'Choose Toolbox Items' dialog. They'll show up in the Toolbox upon this. You can even have the Toolbox show the .NET (desktop) assemblies (right-click on Toolbox -> 'Show All') but they're grayed out when working in the SmartDevice project environment just to make sure they're not used accidently. However, when dragging a dropping a SecureBlackBox components from the Toolbox onto the Designer in the SmartDevice environment it actually adds a reference to the .NET (desktop) assembly and not to the .NET CF (mobile) assembly. I finally figured it out by looking more carefully at the path of the referenced assemblies in the Properties window.

Sometimes all it take is a kick in the butt to find the tiny little detail that causes major headaches.

Thanks again,
Posted: 10/15/2009 10:39:41
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for the reminder :)

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Topic viewed 3730 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!