EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

PDF signing using an HSM

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 07/31/2006 00:55:32
by Ram Cohen (Standard support level)

Hi,
I need to know in advance if SBB can use a private key which is stored on an HSM for signing PDF files.
The HSM installs a CAPI provider on the machine and for regular CAPI applications usage of the HSM is transparent.
Thanks
Posted: 07/31/2006 01:06:58
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, SecureBlackbox can easily access system certificates. Actually, you can download the evaluation version and try the TinySigner demo application (included to the distribution), which is able to use certificates stored in Win32 storage.
Posted: 07/31/2006 06:48:39
by Ram Cohen (Standard support level)

I'm not sure that I was clear enough
HSM stands for 'Hardware security module' and it means that the private key is stored on an external device and not on the computer.
Usage of the private key is brokered through a dedicated CAPI provider that forwards the necessary data to the device which performs the private key operations and returns the result.
Posted: 07/31/2006 06:58:41
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

What you say doesn't make any difference. You can use TinySigner to sign the document using the certificates, available via CryptoAPI (no matter where these certificates are actually stored).
Many people do just this.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 2984 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!