EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

WinSCP: this is end-of-file:0

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 04/24/2009 18:24:33
by Greg  (Basic support level)

This my first experience with SFTP. I am able to make a connection with several of the VB.Net examples you supplied but I can't issue any commands. At least, when i do, the only return is 'WinSCP: this is end-of-file:0'. I'm not sure what this means.

Greg
Posted: 04/27/2009 00:57:29
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

Would you be so kind to post the exact log returned by the sample (in form of JPG or GIF image)?
Posted: 04/27/2009 10:22:50

What exactly do you mean by 'exact log'? There is an install log in the root of the \EldoS\SecureBlackbox.NET folder. Is that what you want?

Greg
Posted: 04/27/2009 10:53:37
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Using one of the sample applications that you tested, please connect to the server which exposes the problem, and issue some command. The samples have a connection log, which contains information about what goes on. Please capture this log. As the control, used to display the log, in most samples is a list view, which doesn't support direct copying of the text, please make a shot of that control (please resize the window to capture the complete log), save the shot as a GIF or JPG image, and post the image here. Note, that DOC, BMP and other strange formats are not allowed for posting. If the control allows copying, then the text is perfect as well.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/27/2009 11:35:27

Attached is the screen shot just after log-in. From here I just try some basic commands like ls or lpwd. I type them in the edit box and click send. No matter what I enter the return is always...

WinSCP: this is end-of-file:0

I do have WinSCP installed on this computer, but I currently use CoreFTP for SSH file transfers to this site.I cut out the key finger print from the attached image.

Thank you for your help....

Greg

Posted: 04/27/2009 12:20:40

The bottom log, -- can you please resize the window in the way to make the complete log visible? The most important part is hidden on your screenshot, unfortunately.

Also, if possible, please try to connect to some other server (if you have one) and test that connection. We need to understand whether the issue is specific to the particular server (host) or to specific server-side software or something else. SSH and SFTP clients are among the most popular components in SecureBlackbox, yet we never faced the repored issue before. So we need to find out the reason for it.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/27/2009 12:49:16

That is the extent of the output. If you'll notice, there is no scroll bar in the bottom window. The last line is 'SSH Connection Established'. All other output appears in the top window, but as I've said, I all get is the '
WinSCP: this is end-of-file:0 '

Unfortunately, I don't have access to another SSH site. Just after I took the screenshot of the SSH client, I was able to log on to same site with the same credentials using CoreFTP.

Greg
Posted: 04/27/2009 12:59:41

Thank you for information. I have no doubt that some other software might be able to connect to the site (so did the sample client). Did CoreFTP work as SSH client or as SFTP client? It seems that your server supports only SFTP subsystem and doesn't start shell (this behaviour can be set in most SSH/SFTP servers), and this is why you can use the SFTP client but can't issue any command. And you don't have a shell prompt in the top box of the sample client.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/27/2009 13:18:39

Ok, that sort of makes sense. The differences between SFTP and SSH are still a bit fuzzy to me.I assumed SSH because with CoreFTP I had to select the SSH option and add in the key file.

I just switched to the SimpleSFTP client sample app and I have a console. Thank you.

With both the SFTP and the SSH client I received the 'Authentication Type16 Failed' message. It seems to move past it and establish the connection, but is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks agian,

Greg
Posted: 04/27/2009 13:30:10
by Mykola Olshevsky (Basic support level)

Hi. SSH is a transport level protocol, which supports a number of subsystems, including SFTP, Secure Shell, port forwarding, and so on.
Usually 'SSH to some site' means secure shell, i.e. when you can send and execute commands on remote server, but in current situation it seems that you have only SFTP access, i.e. you can manipulate files on remote server without possibility to execute commands.

Authentication type 16 is keyboard-interactive auth type, and this means that your proceed with other auth type (password, or public key).
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 7560 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!