EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Secure Black Box

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 04/02/2009 04:11:53
by Monika Sharma (Standard support level)

In securebox SFTP is there any way to check that the file is in the copying process?

I am connecting Unix Server through SFTp client. I am moving a file from one folder to another. Due to some constraints I am supossed to check whether the file is still in the Copying process before moving the file.

Kindly provide me the solution.

Thanks & Regards
Monika Sharma
Posted: 04/02/2009 05:53:05
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Do I understand you right that you need to check that the file is not opened by some other user before moving it? If yes, then SFTP (as a protocol) provides no solution for this task, at least its widely used 3 and 4 versions. It is possible that there've been some improvements in versions 5 and 6 though -- Mykola will comment them if any.

Actually, most of the existing servers are safe with regard to this procedure -- the file is not physically deleted until all the handles to it are closed.
Posted: 04/02/2009 06:08:46
by Mykola Olshevsky (Basic support level)

Hi. In the latest SFTP draft there is a possibility to block reading from/writing to a file until the file handle is released. You should check OpenFile method of ElSFTPClient/ElSimpleSftpClient, with Access parameter.
But, it needs SFTP protocol version 6, and I cannot guarantee that server software will support such feature.

Topic viewed 882 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!