EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Translating error codes into text

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 03/20/2009 02:20:19
by Ralph M (Basic support level)

Is there any way to translate the error codes that appear in the ESecureBlackboxError class into some meaningful text?

What I've encountered so far is code 11001 while trying to connect the simplesftpclient to some nonexistant hostname. Actually i couldn't even find that particular error code in the docs.

A neat thing would be some kind of list of the codes with their meanings so i could look them up on error and just present them to the user in some friendly way.

Did I miss something there or can somebody maybe point me in the right direction?

Posted: 03/20/2009 02:31:05
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

10000+xxx and 11000+xxx , when related to sockets, are Winsock errors. Use the text "winsock error XXXXX" in Google to find detailed description of the problem.

As for converting error codes to text, - this often is not possible just because one error in different cases can be cause by different reasons. Also, if we were to provide such texts, we would need to either localize them or provide some way to make localization to users. This would lead us far away from security, on which we focus in SecureBlackbox.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 03/20/2009 04:51:35
by Ralph M (Basic support level)

Thank you for the really quick reply.

I'd agree on your point, that it takes quite some work to build localized error messages.
What I wouldn't really agree on is that it would make SBB insecure. Some meaningful error messages don't sound like they would compromise security of the algorithms etc.
Well unless you mean that development has to focus on the security part and there is little spare time for other things.

Anyway, big thanks for the help. As I build more tests around the ftp layer here I'm rather bound to get more errors so maybe things get clearer once I leave the Winsock part and actually access the FTP server itself.

Posted: 03/20/2009 07:45:30
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

What I meant to say is that if our developers write texts for error codes, they don't do their main work - they don't improve the product itself (whose main goal is security). Yes, I know that for many clients quick solution of data transfer task is a priority (and many of them don't even care about validating the server keys), but we still see SecureBlackbox as a security suite. If we had dozens of unallocated developers, we would be able to devote them to error messages, hundreds of samples etc.. However at the moment, with limited work force we have to choose what tasks have priority.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 1400 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!