EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

How do I use SecureBlackbox with Registration Free COM?

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 02/26/2009 20:56:22
by j_one (Basic support level)

I would like to use SecureBlackbox ActiveX with Registration Free COM.

Can manifest files be supplied that support this?

- Thanks
Posted: 02/27/2009 03:33:42
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Unfortunately I don't know what Registration Free COM is. If my guess is correct that this is the COM object that is not registered in registry (via DLLRegisterServer or in some other way), then I think SecureBlackbox ActiveX controls can't be used in this scenario as they are registered in the registry. You can register and unregister them in your code though, thus making such registration temporary. To do this you need to load the DLLs and call their DLLRegisterServer and DLLUnregisterServer functions on startup and on shutdown respectively.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 02/27/2009 13:13:43

Registration Free COM allows COM components to be used without registration.
Instead of storing the configuration in the registry, it is stored in manifest files which can either be standalone files or embedded resources in the COM dlls.

There also needs to be a manifest for the main exe program describing which dlls have these manifests.

The technique described on this [URL=http://www.developer.com/net/cplus/article.php/3626016]page[/URL] worked for creating dll manifests (although only one manifest could be done at a time), and the tool in this [URL=http://www.codeproject.com/KB/COM/regsvr42.aspx]article[/URL] created a manifest for the exe.

This worked well enough for CoCreateInstance to succeed creating blackbox components, but there was a later problem with key exchange during execution that hung the program.
(Everything worked normally if the dlls were registered with regsvr32.exe)
Posted: 03/04/2009 09:04:42
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

It seems that the tool available by the link you provided does not work as expected, as it creates incomplete manifest files. We used Visual Studio 2005 to create ones and they seem to work well for us. Please find them attached. The manifests were generated for SBB6 DLLs.

Please note that you also need to create a corresponding manifest file for the client application itself. The tool again works incorrectly here, as it inserts wrong version numbers for the DLLs. We have created the following manifest manually and it also worked for us:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
  <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
        <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false">

version="" />
                  version="" />

Thank you for pointing us at this feature. We are going to distribute manifest files for SBB COM components within ActiveX edition starting from SBB 7.0 release build.

[ Download ]
Posted: 03/07/2009 16:03:40

I will try these out.

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Topic viewed 1341 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!