EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SFTP Keys Authentication:

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 12/12/2008 10:51:09
by Binoy Nair (Standard support level)

One of our customers wants us to use KEYS for authentication to SFTP TECHTIA server.

We have 2 applications (new .NET and old COM ACTIVE-X) that need to connect to this remote SFTP, I am familiar with authentication using User-Name & Password need help with KEYS authentication i.e.

- How to do authentication in ELDOS using KEYS
- Are there examples and documentation; that you can point me to?

Posted: 12/12/2008 17:25:34
by Mykola Olshevsky (Basic support level)

Hi. At first, please take a look at our SimpleSftpDemo, it can authenticate with keys also.
Posted: 12/13/2008 02:08:45
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Some information regarding public key authentication can be also found here.
Posted: 12/15/2008 10:07:13

Mykola, SimpleSftpDemo --> SFTPClient.vbs doesn't seem to have a example of KEYs... Is there any other file that I need to look for COM ACTIVE-X?

NOTE: I haven't yet searched for .NET implementation

Posted: 12/15/2008 10:22:13
by Mykola Olshevsky (Basic support level)

Have you tried this one "C:\Program Files\EldoS\SecureBlackbox.AX\Samples\VB6\SBB6\SFTPBlackbox\Client\SimpleSFTPClient" ? It uses PUBLICKEY authentication type.
Posted: 12/15/2008 10:30:33
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

JFYI: .vbs stands for VBScript, which is NOT Visual Basic. It has different syntax in many aspects.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 12/17/2008 13:09:17

Eugene, I am using VBScript and I can convert some of VB to VBScript

Mykola, I ran the app and it is asking for username password? my client was saying he will generate a key and that should authenticate i.e. without username or password.

I am assuming you are the experts and will tell me how it works and how to set it up and connect to the server.
Posted: 12/17/2008 13:43:49
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Do you need VB6, VB.NET or VBScript support? They are all different in syntax. For example, event handling is different there and you must handle OnKeyValidate event (in all three cases).

As for the key - you *always* use a username. And then you use either a password or a private key or both (or oher authentication mechanism). The sample itself might ask for a password just because it's a sample. Keep it empty. You need to provide a username and a *private* key. Don't be confused by the authentication scheme name - while it's called public, you provide a private key to authenticate yourself. And the server has your public key. This scheme lets the server authenticate you. At the same time, you should have server's public key somewhere and your code must compare the key, provided to your application in OnKeyValidate event with the public key that you have.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2120 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!