EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

SBB - FTPS - unexpected SITE command

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 12/09/2008 14:43:10
by Eric Dobrzelewski (Standard support level)

I'm getting an unusual error when I connect via FTPS using SBB It is the same thing I mentioned in another thread, but forgot to follow up on. I created a new topic because the original issue has been resolved. First, here is the link to the post: [URL=http://www.eldos.com/forum/read.php?FID=7&TID=1483&MID=8173&phrase_id=337035#message8171]http://www.eldos.com/forum/read.php?FID=7&TID=1483&MID=8173&phrase_id=337035#message8171[/URL]

The problem seems to be that the first "command" I issue always returns "250 SITE command successful." Here is an example:

>>>CWD /myfolder
<<<250 SITE command successful.
<<<257 "/" is current directory.
>>>CWD /myfolder
<<<250 CWD command successful.
<<<257 "/myfolder" is current directory.

You will see that the initial CWD does not "stick". It does not return a response to the CWD, but instead responds with something else. The real problem is that it throws a "EElFTPSUnacceptedReplyError" exception because "250" is not a valid response to a "CWD". I could trap for the error, but that seems like a kluge to me. Why should I have to send CWD twice? The same thing happens if I try to immediately push a file after logging in.

>>> TYPE I
<<< 250 SITE command successful.

I get the same results with both the demo app and my custom app. This only seems to happen on this one site. I don't know if it is the server's issue, an SSL issue, or something else. The connection settings I'm using match what I'm using in CuteFTP, and the log output is pretty similar except for this unexpected "SITE" response. Here are the settings:
Passive mode
SSL v3 only (SSL Auth command, only SSL3 for the "version")
Clear Command Channel
Encrypted Data Channel

I've attached the logs from CuteFTP and SBB. I've x'ed out the host name, username, etc. but left it essentially intact. One thing I did notice is that CuteFTP issues a "PWD" and "REST" before "CCC". Is that important? Do I need to do something before I call ClearCommandChannel()? My code is:

[ Download ]
Posted: 12/09/2008 15:04:39
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

I suggest that you figure out the software name of the remote server and contact their vendor. They know better why their server sends inadequate response. If we could have FTP access to the server, we would be able to attempt to find out the sequence of commands that causes the server to misbehave.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 1390 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!