EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

OpenPGP Error: Unsupported cryptographic operation

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 11/24/2008 10:33:03
by Eric Dobrzelewski (Standard support level)

I'm getting an odd error trying to decrypt a PGP file. The error is "Unsupported cryptographic operation. Operation: 0, Algorithm: 28692, Mode: 3." I did not find that or sub-parts of the message online, both in a general (Google) search and on this site. I just switched to SBB v6.1.0.148 and was testing my code. I had no problems under v5. I tested it with the built-in demo apps as well.

I'm using an RSA 1024 bit key. The file is encrypted using 3DES, Normal, With Compression, "Use new features" disabled. I've been using this same combination for years with SBB. I know RSA isn't preferred and 3DES may not be optimal, but that is what I can get to work best with other vendors. I've attached the test file and key. The key is a test key with passphrase "test". I've also tried it with my existing key pair.

[ Download ]
Posted: 11/24/2008 11:01:05
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

I am moving your question to HelpDesk for detailed investigation by our developers.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/24/2008 11:46:23
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

As the developer has given the very useful answer which will be interesting to others, I am posting this answer here.

Algorithm 28692 is IDEA (with which encrypted your secret key by default), and you should use IDEA plugin with SBB to make it work, because of patenting issues. It is free, but you should download and install it by yourself.
Download page: http://www.eldos.com/sbbdev/download/ (you should use IDEA module for version 6.0.144)
Also please read notes at http://www.eldos.com/documentation/sb...odule.html

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/26/2008 07:25:58
by Eric Dobrzelewski (Standard support level)

A note on using the IDEA module: The notes page says to "call ElBuiltInExtendedCryptoProvider.SetAsDefault() method". For those that didn't quite understand it (like me), you can call the method pretty much any time before you access any cryptography methods. I took the easy approach and put it right after my call to SetLicenseKey.

Another thing to note that Mykola (Eldos help desk) and I ran into was that the current IDEA module assembly has a dependency to an older version of SBB. The current IDEA assembly version is 6.0.0.144 and is looking for SBB 6.0.0.144. The current SBB version is 6.1.0.148. There are no issues with code execution that I've seen so far, but when it compiles there is a warning that reads "Found conflicts between different versions of the same dependent assembly." Normally warnings don't matter, but this prevented the code from working for both of us. By double-clicking the warning message (in VS 2005 and 2008 at least) and confirming the popup, it all worked fine. By doing so, it added some text to the App.config file that told it how to resolve the version conflict.

I would recommend that the Eldos staff put something in the KB/FAQ that addresses the IDEA module and possibly the error message stated in this thread. Fortunately now that it is out there, people can search for it and find the message.

Thank you Mykola and Eugene for helping me resolve the issue.
Posted: 11/26/2008 07:42:06
by Mykola Olshevsky (Basic support level)

Also I should note, that it is only temporary issue - IDEA module will be recompiled for the upcoming 6.1 release, and there will be no problems while using release assembly versions.
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2696 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!