EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Runtime error

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 10/22/2008 10:35:00
by Greg Morphis (Basic support level)

I have my program working fine on my machine but when I sent it out to a few people to test they were getting an error
Run-time error '-2147211446 (8004274a)';
Connection lost (error code is 10058)

The only thing different is that I installed the downloaded software on my machine. For the users we just copied the 2 needed DLLs
(
BaseBBox6.dll
SSHBBoxCli6.dll
)
to C:\windows\system32 and used regsvr32 to register them "Registered successfully"

We're connecting to the same server...
Ideas? Please help..
Posted: 10/22/2008 10:35:49

BTW if it matters, I'm using VB6, SSH Blackbox Active X
Posted: 10/22/2008 10:45:37
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

Please specify the exact components you are using. It also would be great if your users try to connect to the server using the in-box SSH sample applications and check their output.
Posted: 10/22/2008 10:53:26
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Also you will find Search function of our site useful: http://www.eldos.com/search/index.php?q=10058

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/22/2008 11:48:43

Eugene,
I did that.. the only other post did not pertain to me..

"The error is "Cannot send after socket shutdown.". This means that the server closes connection unexpectedly (for your application). Please see the instructions in the knowledgebase."

That didn't help me understand why it would work for me on my machine and not on theirs..

Innokentiy,
Thanks, what I didn't take into account was that end-users are end-users... we recently switched from using assigned password to our CSO (central sign-on) login and password for this server.. the users were entering in their old login and password..

Posted: 10/22/2008 11:59:29

The error happens when the server has sent the error reply and closed connection. On handshake stage this is often caused by incorrect authentication. As I understand your reply to Innokentiy, the problem happened because the authentication didn't work. Do you handle OnAuthenticationFailed and OnError (or OnSSHError) events? If you do, you should get some more error messages (but not necessarily - some servers can close connection without reporting errors.

There's one more problem that can happen - when the users should connect via proxy or firewall.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 10/22/2008 11:59:48
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Please consider using OnError event in future to get more details about the underlying protocol error.
Posted: 10/22/2008 13:03:47

I used the SimpleDemo to create my app and have these Subs

' This event is fired when debug data from server is received
Private Sub ssh1_OnDebugData(ByVal Data As Variant)
Log "Debug: " & ByteArr2Str(Data)
End Sub

' This event is fired when some error took place during SSH conversation
Private Sub ssh1_OnError(ByVal ErrorCode As Long)
Log "Error: " & Str(ErrorCode)
End Sub

' This event is fired when authentication process is successfully finished
Private Sub ssh1_OnAuthenticationSuccess()
Log "Authentication succeeded"
End Sub

' This event is fired if certain authentication type has failed.
' This event may fire several times during single SSH negotiation depending on
' authentication settings.
Private Sub ssh1_OnAuthenticationFailed(ByVal AuthenticationType As Long)
MsgBox "Authentication attempt failed, AuthType=" & Str(AuthenticationType)
End Sub

' This event is fired when server key validation is needed
Private Sub ssh1_OnKeyValidate(ByVal ServerKey As SSHBBoxCli6.IElSSHKeyX, Valid As Boolean)
Valid = True
End Sub

But it would display a MMsgBox and die. ssh1 is the name of the control
Posted: 10/22/2008 13:30:22

Greg Morphis wrote:
But it would display a MMsgBox and die.

This means that none of OnAuthenticationFailed or OnError were fired. In consequence, this can mean one of the following:
1) The DLLs are registered in the wrong sequence (should be BaseBBox, then SSHBBox, and not in any other order)
2) the users have firewall or proxy (and I think they do have some corporate proxy)
3) the server is confused by some connection parameters (but this seems to be not the case because everything is fine on your side).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2214 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!