EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Progression display during S/MIME message encoding and encryption

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 09/25/2008 03:36:41
by Stephane Grobety (Priority Standard support level)

Hello,

I'm modifying a SMTP mailer app to support S/MIME and I need a bit of help with displaying the progress.

I've been able to make the whole system work just fine with the encryption etc, but I have one problem left: since the program is frequently used to send large files and documents (can be up to 100 megabytes), I need to be able to provide the user with some feedback about the operation status.

Unfortunately, using TElSimpleSMIMEMessage, I couldn't find any way to do that. I could keep the application responding by moving the code within it's own thread but I cannot seem to find a way to display the progress of either encryption and encoding. The only progress event I could find is in the SMTP component. I tried to dig into the source code but none of it seems to have been designed for reporting progress.

Am I missing something ?

I'm using Delphi 6 and SBB 6.0.137

Thanks,
Stephane
Posted: 09/25/2008 05:07:33
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

You should use the TElSMTPClient.OnProgress event. I've just re-checked it with the latest source code (6.1.146) and it proved to work.
Posted: 09/26/2008 09:38:14

Thanks for your answer.

You're right: I was expecting encryption, encoding and sending to be three different operations but they seem to happen in steam.

However, I still get a delay when the whole process starts. It's not very long: 3-4 seconds for a 15 megabytes ZIP, but with larger files, it could be an issue.

Short of moving that to a different thread, is there a way to track what's hapening in there and keep the program responding ?

Thanks again,
Stephane.

(p.s. please, PLEASE remove the "Add new topic" button from the bottom of this "reply" form. I've lost this message 3 times already because it's located where my muscle memory insist the "submit" button should be)
Posted: 09/26/2008 10:11:00
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

First of all, there have been certain MIME assembling perfomance improvements in SBB 6.1 beta 2. Please consider upgrading to it to speed up message assembling.

Answering to your question, there's no way to track the progress of the message assembling routine at the moment. We will consider implementing it in future.

p.s. please, PLEASE remove the "Add new topic" button from the bottom of this "reply" form.

Reported to the webmaster.
Posted: 09/26/2008 10:48:37
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

"Add new topic" button has been removed as per your request.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/26/2008 10:55:41

Thank you for your answer.

First of all, there have been certain MIME assembling performance improvements in SBB 6.1 beta 2. Please consider upgrading to it to speed up message assembling.

Unfortunately, I can't upgrade to beta software. But it's good to know there are improvements in the pipeline, though. And currently, the speed is acceptable for most of what my users will need to do (there are a few unattended process that will make use of the application to send very large mails, but as they are unattended, performance is less of an issue).

Answering to your question, there's no way to track the progress of the message assembling routine at the moment. We will consider implementing it in future.

Thank you.

"Add new topic" button has been removed as per your request.

Oooh, thank you VERY much :)
Posted: 09/26/2008 11:35:13
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Stephane Grobety wrote:
Unfortunately, I can't upgrade to beta software. But it's good to know there are improvements in the pipeline, though. And currently, the speed is acceptable for most of what my users will need to do (there are a few unattended process that will make use of the application to send very large mails, but as they are unattended, performance is less of an issue).

We name it "beta" because ECC is not yet completely ready. Other parts work as usually.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1812 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!