EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Interesting Problem with Simple port forward and proxies

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 08/14/2008 23:51:26
by steve orford (Standard support level)

I've been rolling out an app to clients, and have come across a snag. I'm using a simple port forwarding SSH setup to forward a port on the local pc to an ssh session on my server. I've used 443 rather than 22 as many corperate firewalls won't allow 22 through, but will allow 443. That works fine. If they have a proxy setup in explorer and use authentication at the proxy, I can get at the proxy name and port, no problem there either. I just set webtunnelling true, use the proxy port and address, and give them a dialog box for their username/pass to get through the proxy.

My issue is those users who have transarent proxies with a password to pass through.I can't automatically detect the address or port, and the user doesn't always know it. I haven't tried yet, but if I don't enter a server and port, but enter a username and password, and set Webtunnelling to true, will sbb use the web proxy it finds, or do I have to explitally define them?

Any suggestions on how to work around this issue?
Posted: 08/15/2008 03:15:52
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

It's not clear, what protocol is used in case of "transparent proxies". Without knowing it I can't say anything. I think that this is probably SOCKS. If yes, then you need to set UseSocks and other properties accordingly.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/15/2008 07:51:37

I actually don't use SOCKS, I just set Webtunnelling to true, enter a web tunnelling username, password, port and server and everything works fine providing I have the proxy server details. What benefits would socks give me?
Posted: 08/15/2008 08:35:51

steve orford wrote:
What benefits would socks give me?

No ideas. You were asking about some transparent proxies with a password. I was answering that question.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/15/2008 08:45:15

Yes I understand that. You bought it up so I asked.

Anyway, yes my question is still about proxies. Given that I don't use socks (and your documentation says not to use socks and webtunneliing together), do you know if I can leave the webtunnel servername and port blank and just enter the username and password?

In a large corperate environment with many locations, the proxy is likely to be different on every site, and I'd rather not have to issue differetnly setup software for each one.
Posted: 08/15/2008 09:28:36

steve orford wrote:
if I can leave the webtunnel servername and port blank and just enter the username and password?

Of course you can't.

steve orford wrote:
In a large corperate environment with many locations, the proxy is likely to be different on every site, and I'd rather not have to issue differetnly setup software for each one.

What do you mean by "on every site"? Do you mean that each user of your application will have different proxy configuration? Of course he/it will, and you would need to ask the user about proxy settings.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/15/2008 09:53:31

Thanks for the reply. Much what I've come to expect.

I'm a user of your software, I'm asking for SUPPORT because I don't know the answer myself.Treating customers like idiots doesn't make for good business.

You have a good product which I like alot, let down by a very arrogant attitude to supporting users. I don't know all the ins and outs SSHblackbox, and just wanted to check before spending lots of time figuring it out myself.

Frankly doesn't give me much interest in asking questions - maybe thats exactly what you want. I'll go away and figure it out myself.
Posted: 08/15/2008 09:56:32

So far I didn't see a question that can be answered. You don't know what protocol your customers use to get through the proxy and I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish. So what you expect me to tell you? Should I guess the protocol for you or ... ?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2109 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!