EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

tcp_nodelay/nagle

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 07/27/2008 07:33:51
by tony lui (Basic support level)

Hi's,

Im currently using SSHBlackbox\Server\ServerDemo as a ssh server for tunneling some data, and works great. (using Delphi 2007)

except, im trying to figure a way to turn off nagle with tcp_nodelay, with out turning it off there is a 200ms delay and since this project is very latency related i need to turn on tcp_nodelay or nagle alga off.

In the demo, ive tried to run a setsockopt on the serversocket onclientconnect event and just about everywhere else with:

opt=1;
setsockopt(Socket.SocketHandle, IPPROTO_TCP, TCP_NODELAY, PChar(@opt),sizeof(opt));
setsockopt(Socket.Handle, IPPROTO_TCP, TCP_NODELAY, PChar(@opt),sizeof(opt));

Wondering if anyone here have a idea what im missing, am I applying it to the wrong event, wrong handle or there a inbuilt option i can use??

sorry, if this isnt directly related to eldos product, but im total lost as why its not working at all ???
Posted: 07/27/2008 11:07:20
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Well, Delphi sockets are really a bit offtopic (just because we specialize in security and not TCP communications), but let's try to solve the problem here anyway. What do you expect to get and why you think that setting the options doesn't work?
Most likely you are accessing the wrong socket. MainForm.ServerSocket is a *listening* socket. This is not the socket using which the data is transferred. You need to control a different socket. For example the socket to control appears in TfrmMain.ServerSocketGetThread as ClientSocket parameter.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/27/2008 17:16:43

thanks Eugene,

Basically, we have a application that that we use that ( designed badly or on purpose) produces some bad latency. We get around this by tunnelling the app through a linux ssh box which in turns drops about 200ms of the latency times.

Its my beleif its directly related to the nagle or tcp_nodelay option that is set by default on linux ssh box. Through this latency is around 230ms, with out its around 450-500.

Im trying to acheive this through a windows app to advoid using the remote linux box. ( for a number reason id like this to work on windows )

By using:
showmessage('ClientSocket.SocketHandle- '+Inttostr(setsockopt(SocketThread.ClientSocket.SocketHandle, IPPROTO_TCP, TCP_NODELAY, PChar(@opt),sizeof(opt))));

in the ServerSocketGetThread as you described returns that it worked ok ( 0 ) but latency is still sitting around the 450-500 mark.

So my guess is its not sticking to the socket or socket is changing at some point and im affraid im no socket expert so im kinda lost.

Thank you for your previous help, any suggestions or help is appricated.

thanks
tony
Posted: 07/27/2008 23:34:54

Are you running the evaluation version with default evaluation key?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/27/2008 23:41:36

atm yes i am.

I have requested a temp unlock key from http://www.eldos.com/sbbdev/keyreq/ but as of yet recieved one.

Would the trial version limitation effect this at all do you think?
Posted: 07/28/2008 09:44:33

tony lui wrote:
Would the trial version limitation effect this at all do you think?

Yes, of course it will.

tony lui wrote:
I have requested a temp unlock key from http://www.eldos.com/sbbdev/keyreq/ but as of yet recieved one.

And you won't receive any with your e-mail. Did you read the text on that page?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/28/2008 17:07:49

My bad, sorry.

Thank you for your time in answering my questions, have remade the request (with different email) and will so how it goes ;)

Thanks,
tony
Posted: 07/29/2008 11:25:15

Have you received the key? We received some "delivery delayed" notification from our mail server.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/29/2008 16:52:00

Not as of yet eugene. looks like our provider is having mail issues atm :( their tech support is looking into it /sigh

if you can repost it to judgetread@netspace.net.au or let me know if you'd like me to reapply with this email address.

thx
tony
Posted: 07/30/2008 00:29:04

I got it finally, thank you.
Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.

Statistics

Topic viewed 5769 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!