EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Strange Application hang when using Indy+ SBB

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 07/13/2008 14:25:29
by Scratch  (Standard support level)

If you drop a idHTTPServer, TElIndySSLServerIOHandler and a MemStorage. Assign all properties, a certificate and write a simpliest code in OnCommandGet
for example

if ARequestInfo.Params.Values['cmd']='yes' then
      AResponseInfo.ContentText := '<HTML>All ok</HTML>'
  AResponseInfo.ResponseText := '<HTML>wrong command</HTML>';

Then launch your browser, point it to
http://localhost/?cmd=yes and also perform such action with several other computers at one time (im my case 2 were enough)

and lay down on your F5 key for a while You'll make the app hang and use all available processor time even when you release the F5 key. The thing happens only when SBB handler is attached. Indy itself works fine.
Posted: 07/13/2008 14:46:32
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

CPU load should drop down after some time. You are overloading the server with requests. Given that you are using an evaluation version which is much slower than the registered one, a relatively small number of requests (50-100) can almost block the server. Of course this only happens with SSL because SSL handshake itself is time-consuming and also SSL is one more layer which takes time to work.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/13/2008 15:02:59

No, it's not that simple ) First the program really behaves as you say. I stop doing requests and it becomes idle too. But then after several ones it starts to eat CPU and can't stop doing that. I was waiting but it did not become idle.
I'm using the registered version of SBB SSL in sources so I dont't think it's all about trial delays. Here is the sample I put into remote server, make requests from 2 machines and it dies rather fast. You only need to put a certificate into storage.

[ Download ]
Posted: 07/14/2008 01:30:34
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Before we continue, please follow the instructions in the registration e-mail to assign the license ticket to your account. Without this we won't be able to provide any support to you.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/15/2008 10:55:14
by Mykola Olshevsky (Basic support level)

Hi. Are you testing with the latest build of SBB ( ?
We created a sample application as you described, and it has no problems with CPU usage.
Posted: 07/17/2008 09:32:37

Problem occurs only when I put the app on the remote server. Me and one more man keep pressing F5 in browser and after some time it behaves like i've already described. May be there are some tools that can tell me which routines are running during the huge cpu usage? Debuggers or smth. Because on my PC i also can't reproduce the issue
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Topic viewed 1747 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!