EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

TElPGPReader pgpReader_OnKeyPassphrase issue

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 06/23/2008 02:12:23
by C3 TechSupport (Standard support level)

TElPGPReader pgpReader_OnKeyPassphrase does not accept passphrase when decrypting some binary encoded files.

With the version SecureBlackbox.PGP.dll 4.3.0.79 the passPhrase is accepted successfully without issue.

But with SecureBlackbox.PGP.dll 6.0.0.141 the passPhrase is not accepted and the file can not be processed. Text encoded files are processed without issue using this version though.

I can't supply the files I am working with as they are production data and keyrings and the information is commercially sensitive.

Any hints on possible work arounds?
Posted: 06/23/2008 04:41:34
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Let's narrow down the problem to some reproducible test case.
Please check whether the problem happens
a) with some generic file or only some particular file
b) with the test keys shipped with SecureBlackbox
c) with the sample application.

Depending on the answers to the above questions we will be able to find some strategy for solving the problem

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/23/2008 14:39:42

In response to your questions:

a) with some generic file or only some particular file
We have three binary files we are dealing with, 2 will decrypt without issue. Only one does not accept the passPhrase correctly. This file will decrypt correctly using the version 4 components.

b) with the test keys shipped with SecureBlackbox
I am using our production keys, and a file encoded by a third party.

c) with the sample application.
I have used the sample apps from V4 and V6, as well as our own code implementation. V4 worked, V6 and our app that uses V6 do not work.

I am following up to see if there is anything specific about this file i.e. seperate signature files or something.
Posted: 06/23/2008 22:04:29

For now I have implemented a parallel pipeline that specifies which version, 4 or 6 to use.

I am working on getting sample sample data to submit with this query from the party who is supplying the message that is failing.
Posted: 06/24/2008 01:38:19
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

We have three binary files we are dealing with, 2 will decrypt without issue. Only one does not accept the passPhrase correctly. This file will decrypt correctly using the version 4 components.

Have all these file been encrypted for the same key and by the same party?

Please try to pass the passphrase by assigning it to the TElPGPCustomSecretKey.Passphrase property instead of passing it via OnKeyPassphrase event, and check if it changes something (remember that you should set the passphrase for the main key and all its subkeys). BTW, you can check if the passphrase is accepted immediately after assigning it to the Passphrase property by checking the PassphraseValid property of the key object.
Posted: 09/28/2008 21:14:04

Sorry about the delay in following up on this thread but I have been working on other projects and have only just revisited this issue.

>>Have all these file been encrypted for the same key and by the same party?
There are 3 seperate parties, each signing using a public key supplied by us.

>>try to pass the passphrase by assigning it to the TElPGPCustomSecretKey.PasĀ­sphrase property instead

I have tried the following where I set the keys on the secret and sub keys, and the phrases are all valid.

With this code it just keeps requesting the passphrase. There is only 1 secret key and 1 subkey that I can see in my test keyring.

Code
   private void DecryptFile(string SourceFile)
   {
      System.IO.FileStream inF;

SBPGPKeys.TElPGPSecretKey secret = keyring.GetSecretKeys(0);

string passphrase = "start";
      secret.Passphrase = passphrase;
            secret.GetSubkeys(0).Passphrase = passphrase;

bool test = secret.PassphraseValid();
      test = secret.GetSubkeys(0).PassphraseValid();

I have a test file supplied by the third party where this error occurs. This has been encrypted using a test key set. I can supply you this information to demonstrate my issue.
Posted: 09/29/2008 01:19:08
by Ken Ivanov (EldoS Corp.)

I have a test file supplied by the third party where this error occurs. This has been encrypted using a test key set. I can supply you this information to demonstrate my issue.

That would be great. Please post both the key set and the encrypted file to the Helpdesk for investigation.
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2281 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!