EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

File Size Limits

Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.
Posted: 08/14/2006 07:33:41
by Stephane Grobety (Priority Standard support level)

TElMessage* classes of SecureBlackbox 5 also work with streams, so you can pass file streams to them.

Good :)
Will it also support stream compression before encryption ?
Posted: 08/14/2006 10:00:40
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

What compression? PKCS7 (to which TElMessage* classes belong) doesn't specify compression mechanisms afaik.
Of course you can add compression yourself, as I did in Crypto4 Files.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/15/2006 04:24:41

What compression? PKCS7 (to which TElMessage* classes belong) doesn't specify compression mechanisms afaik.

Well, I was thinking ZLib precompression. As far as I recall my readings, the first step of effective encryption should be compression (since it tries to remove patterns in the data which makes it harder to mount a cleartext attack).

Sorry, I always forget that you're programming against a standard, not a solution. I'll add compression myself.
Posted: 08/16/2006 02:04:43

Hm... Unfortunately, I seem to have encountered another problem with my program: the Encrypt methode of the ElMessageEncryptor class isn't progressive: I have to pass the complete message as a memory buffer in order to get it to work.

That's simply not workable, I'm afraid: I can't load 20gigabyte files into memory and I cannot even map it completely (not even talking bout the fact that the size parameters are both integers limiting to 2 gigabytes).

So I'll ask it differently:

Using the current release components, what can I do to encrypt a large (more than 4 gigabytes) file with an assymetrical encryption scheme ? (I'd like to get progress update as well, if possible).

Thanks,
Stephane
Posted: 08/16/2006 04:49:15
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Nothing. With SecureBlackbox 5 beta, however, you can pass the stream with your data. I can't say if the beta code works with data sizes larger than 2 Gb -- this task has not been completed yet.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/04/2007 07:57:16

I just wanted to "close" this post in case someone digs it later on: I just installed and tried SBB5 and the problem is effectively gone: I sucessfully encrypted and decrypted a 6 gigabytes large archive using the TElMessage* components.

Thanks for the help,
Stephane
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Statistics

Topic viewed 10620 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!