EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

File Size Limits

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 08/14/2006 07:33:41
by Stephane Grobety (Priority Standard support level)

TElMessage* classes of SecureBlackbox 5 also work with streams, so you can pass file streams to them.

Good :)
Will it also support stream compression before encryption ?
Posted: 08/14/2006 10:00:40
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

What compression? PKCS7 (to which TElMessage* classes belong) doesn't specify compression mechanisms afaik.
Of course you can add compression yourself, as I did in Crypto4 Files.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/15/2006 04:24:41

What compression? PKCS7 (to which TElMessage* classes belong) doesn't specify compression mechanisms afaik.

Well, I was thinking ZLib precompression. As far as I recall my readings, the first step of effective encryption should be compression (since it tries to remove patterns in the data which makes it harder to mount a cleartext attack).

Sorry, I always forget that you're programming against a standard, not a solution. I'll add compression myself.
Posted: 08/16/2006 02:04:43

Hm... Unfortunately, I seem to have encountered another problem with my program: the Encrypt methode of the ElMessageEncryptor class isn't progressive: I have to pass the complete message as a memory buffer in order to get it to work.

That's simply not workable, I'm afraid: I can't load 20gigabyte files into memory and I cannot even map it completely (not even talking bout the fact that the size parameters are both integers limiting to 2 gigabytes).

So I'll ask it differently:

Using the current release components, what can I do to encrypt a large (more than 4 gigabytes) file with an assymetrical encryption scheme ? (I'd like to get progress update as well, if possible).

Thanks,
Stephane
Posted: 08/16/2006 04:49:15
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Nothing. With SecureBlackbox 5 beta, however, you can pass the stream with your data. I can't say if the beta code works with data sizes larger than 2 Gb -- this task has not been completed yet.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/04/2007 07:57:16

I just wanted to "close" this post in case someone digs it later on: I just installed and tried SBB5 and the problem is effectively gone: I sucessfully encrypted and decrypted a 6 gigabytes large archive using the TElMessage* components.

Thanks for the help,
Stephane
Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.

Statistics

Topic viewed 10614 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!