EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

RawDisk for Freepascal? And Driver signing worries

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 05/27/2015 12:05:49
by T SMITH (Basic support level)

Hi

1) As far as I can tell from the eval version, there are no Lazarus\Freepascal units? If that is right, is there a way to use RD with Freepascal? I know it is possible to import DLL's with FP. RawDiskInst.dll - if I import that in my code, Will that be sufficient to use this API?

https://www.eldos.com/documentation/rawdisk/ref_gen_install.html

2) I read here (https://www.eldos.com/forum/read.php?FID=16&TID=5308) that it seems that in order to use the RD functionality in programs that are to run on 64-bit Windows, the accompanying RD sys driver file has to be signed, which is not free.

If that is the case, if I use a 32-bit Windows virtual machine to create my program and compile a 32-bit version of it on that platform, when used on a 64-bit Windows system the exe will still run but will it not work if still the driver is not signed? Or is this a potential way round the problem? If not, then regretably I won't be able to use RD. I realise that is not a fault of Eldos as its a Windows policy but its a shame.

Thanks
Posted: 05/27/2015 13:09:58
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for your interest in our products.

gizmo_the_great wrote:
1) As far as I can tell from the eval version, there are no Lazarus\Freepascal units? If that is right, is there a way to use RD with Freepascal? I know it is possible to import DLL's with FP. RawDiskInst.dll - if I import that in my code, Will that be sufficient to use this API?

RawDiskInst.dll is just an installer DLL for use from installer scripts to install the kernel-mode driver, this is not a RawDisk API. What you can do is build a simple DLL with C++API and C++ compiler , export the needed logic from your DLL and import it in FreePascal.

Unfortunately it's not possible to link C .obj files to FreePascal as we do this in Delphi to avoid DLL dependency.

gizmo_the_great wrote:
in order to use the RD functionality in programs that are to run on 64-bit Windows, the accompanying RD sys driver file has to be signed, which is not free.

Correct.
gizmo_the_great wrote:
when used on a 64-bit Windows system the exe will still run but will it not work if still the driver is not signed?

Correct. The kernel-mode driver should be 64-bit and it must be signed in order to work. It's not important whether your application is 32-bit or 64-bit.

gizmo_the_great wrote:
I realise that is not a fault of Eldos as its a Windows policy but its a shame.

It's not Windows policy. It's idiocy of antivirus companies, who detected previous version of RawDisk as a malware and have complained to the Certificate Authority which issued the certificate. We can't risk all our products being blocked due to some morons somewhere in russia.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 2869 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!