EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Windows 7 partition name

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 04/08/2013 08:16:51
by Isabelle JOUBERT (Standard support level)

I work on Windows 7 64 bits OS.

My software works fine on XP 32 bits.
I installed 64X driver and when I want to open my partition, I have this error:

RawFile.Open \??\E:
System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005)

Is there a special name on Windows 7 for the partitions?

Thanks in advance.
Posted: 04/08/2013 08:41:37
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for contacting us.

What version of RawDisk are you using? If it's version 3, then the driver needs to be signed in order to be loaded on 64-bit systems. Due to sensitive nature of the product and problems we had before with version 2 we don't code-sign the driver ourselves. You need to get a code-signing certificate from Verisign or GlobalSign (only these two) and sign the driver yourself. Unfortunately this is the only way to load the driver and the requirement to sign the driver is described in the help file in deployment instructions.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/08/2013 09:22:01
by Isabelle JOUBERT (Standard support level)

Thank you for the answer. We have a version 3.

So we need to purchase a certificate from Verisign or Globalsign but the certificate has a duration and is very expensive for our application.
Posted: 04/08/2013 09:30:32
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

When you code-sign the module, you also timestamp it (code-signing tool does). with the timestamp you don't need to replace the driver every year. Signing needs to be done once. The cost of the certificate is about $200 per year, but you need to purchase it only once (no need to reissue it later) if you want to sign only current version of the driver.

I recommend you that you start signing and timestamping all of your software - this increases trust in your application and in overall shows that you care about customers. Also, signed modules are treated better (nicer) by antiviruses and other similar software.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 4124 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!