EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

RawDisk and CDRom

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 06/28/2012 12:45:56
by Oleg Akopov (Standard support level)

I'm facing a disturbing problem - Open/OpenEx works perfectly fot "\??\PhysicalDrive0", but fails for "\??\Cdrom0" with ErrorCode 5 (Access Denied). The same parameters for normal CreateFile/CreateFileEx work fine, so this cannot be a problem with authorization. Is it a known limitation? I would like to have a single point for getting device handlers, without special handling of CdRoms.
Posted: 06/30/2012 13:05:57
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Check if you open "\??\Cdrom0" with "read-only" access.
Also the cdrom devices usually (or always) have 4096 byte sector size. So reading from them is allowed only by chunks that are multiple and aligned to 4096.
Posted: 07/01/2012 11:03:21

Yes, with GENERIC_WRITE it's OpenEx fails with Access Denied. But if I use only GENERIC_READ, then DeviceIOControl fails with the same "Access Denied" error. Without changing anything in my code, but just using the handle got from standard CreateFile, DeviceIOControl works fine.

One important note: I call RawDisk from Delphi XE2 directly using CreateFile with proper parameters, without standard VCL (which does not support XE2).
Posted: 07/01/2012 18:00:32

Ok, an only type of operation which fails so far with DeviceIOControl is IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH / IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT.

After further experiments I've found out that on 64-bit platform RawDisk expects SCSI_PASS_THROUGH / SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT structures in 64-bit format even from 32-bit application. In all other cases it fails with error 1306.

But now there is a new problem: even for PhysicalDrive it still fails, this time with error 87. When I use absolutely the same parameters with Handle received from CreateFile directly (admin access, UAC off) - everything is fine.

Any ideas?
Posted: 07/02/2012 03:38:33
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Oleg Akopov wrote:
Ok, an only type of operation which fails so far with DeviceIOControl is IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH / IOCTL_SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT.

This is because these IOCTLs require read-write access for a handle which is used for these calls. Please create a ticket in HelpDesk and I'll give you a test driver where it will be possible to create such handle.

Oleg Akopov wrote:
After further experiments I've found out that on 64-bit platform RawDisk expects SCSI_PASS_THROUGH / SCSI_PASS_THROUGH_DIRECT structures in 64-bit format even from 32-bit application.

Kernel mode drivers on 64-bit OSes are always 64-bit. So they expect 64-bit format for the structures. RawDisk does nothing with input/output data, so your code should check on what a platform it's running and correct the data.

Oleg Akopov wrote:
But now there is a new problem: even for PhysicalDrive it still fails, this time with error 87. When I use absolutely the same parameters with Handle received from CreateFile directly (admin access, UAC off) - everything is fine.

Let's continue the discussion in HelpDesk.
Posted: 07/02/2012 08:29:36

Ticket # 21072. Спасибо!
Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.

Statistics

Topic viewed 5480 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!