EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

CreateFileMapping?

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 06/16/2011 10:38:56
by Lewis Tian (Basic support level)

Got an evaluation key today and tried RawDisk. Looks like it works for me. But I still have several questions:

1) Can I use the handle in CreateFileMapping? I tried but seems doesn't work.
2) Please confirm whether the application which locked the file can continue writing the file while my program reading.
3) How fast the RawDisk.CreateFile compared to Windows API CreateFile? I plan to use RawDisk for exclusively locked files. But if RawDisk is same fast or even faster, maybe I can always use RawDisk.CreateFile
4) What's the RawDisk.Open designed for? Just want to know every feature in RawDisk.

Thanks.

Lewis
Posted: 06/16/2011 12:53:32
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Lewis Tian wrote:
1) Can I use the handle in CreateFileMapping? I tried but seems doesn't work.

No.
Lewis Tian wrote:
2) Please confirm whether the application which locked the file can continue writing the file while my program reading.

Yes.
Lewis Tian wrote:
3) How fast the RawDisk.CreateFile compared to Windows API CreateFile? I plan to use RawDisk for exclusively locked files. But if RawDisk is same fast or even faster, maybe I can always use RawDisk.CreateFile

Almost the same. Maybe a little slower because in addition RawDisk.CreateFile (as well as ReadFile and WriteFile APIs which use a handle obtained from RawDisk.CreateFile) performs some additional processing. But this is not a I/O processing, just a modification of original CreateFile, ReadFile, WriteFile requests in memory (that only consumes a little CPU time). Based on the fact that the most narrow place in I/O operations is usually physical disk access, this additional processing can be not taken into account.

Lewis Tian wrote:
4) What's the RawDisk.Open designed for? Just want to know every feature in RawDisk.

For reading/writing partitions and entire disks.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4003 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!