EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Rawdisk update for Windows 7 ?

Also by EldoS: CallbackFilter
A component to monitor and control disk activity, track file and directory operations (create, read, write, rename etc.), alter file data, encrypt files, create virtual files.
Posted: 12/21/2009 07:22:23
by stephane  (Standard support level)

Hello,

Is there any update that has been / will be made for Windows 7 for the Rawdisk product ?

I ask this question because some customers have the Rawdisk.InstallDriver() function that fails on Windows 7, but perhaps it is a simple user rights issue.

Btw how can I make the difference between a "driver file not found" and "not enough priviledges" when trying the InstallDriver() function since it returns just "false" ?

Regards,
Stephane
Posted: 12/21/2009 08:22:56
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Hello,

It should work on Win7. Perhaps the customer doesn't run the installer with the full administrative privileges (i.e. the installer must be "run as admin").

stephane wrote:
Btw how can I make the difference between a "driver file not found" and "not enough priviledges" when trying the InstallDriver() function since it returns just "false" ?

For C++ implementation you can use GetLastError() to get the error code. If you are interested in .NET or Delphi code then I will ask the developer whether it's possible to get such information.
Posted: 12/24/2009 19:56:11

Just a side note, is the rawdisk sys driver compatible with a windows 7 64 bit edition ?

I wish you a Merry Christmas
Posted: 12/25/2009 11:29:39
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Yes, it is.
Posted: 01/04/2010 08:40:26

It's me again :)

I have made some testing of the TRawdisk.InstallDriver() function and it always fails on Seven 64 bits (the function returns FALSE).

I have verified and GetLastError() return 0 just after function call, so this is not a priviledge problem (logged in windows user was admin).

I have tested to load the sys driver from a simple directory (c:\test\) or a directory with spaces but none worked, so this is not a path related issue.

I have also showed the path of sys driver in a message box to be sure I didn't make a mistake and the path is correct (the sys driver is in the showed directory).

Could you give me a very simple Delphi source code you have successfully tested on windows seven 64 bits, so that I can test it on my failing computer ?
(or at least a compiled executable that works on your Windows 7 64bits)

Thanks !

[NOTE: the exact same code works nicely on a vista 32 bits PC and on another Windows 7, 32 bits PC but fails on the 64 bits edition]
Posted: 01/04/2010 09:02:48
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

First of all, are you installing 64-bit driver? Different drivers are needed for 32-bit and for 64-bit systems.

If you do install 64-bit file, please right-click on the driver file name in Explorer, in context menu choose Properties, then in the dialog that opens go to Digital Signatures tab. There please verify the status of the signature. Should be OK.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/04/2010 10:01:15

Yes sorry I didn't check in the installation package of rawdisk and I tried to install the 32 bit version !

I will try with the 64 bit versions.

Is the IA64 version only for Itanium processors ?
It there a simple test I can make in my code before loading the correct version (to choose 32/64 bit and IA64/X64) ?

Thanks
Posted: 01/04/2010 10:56:25

stephane wrote:
Is the IA64 version only for Itanium processors ?

Yes, and x64 is for most of modern 64-bit processors.

stephane wrote:
It there a simple test I can make in my code before loading the correct version (to choose 32/64 bit and IA64/X64) ?

GetSystemInfo returns processor architecture.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 01/04/2010 11:22:53

Thanks for your help, it works with X64 version ;)

Juste as a side note, kaspersky antivirus complains about a "suspect" activity when my software tries to load the 64 bit driver.

Is there any way to avoid this message (other than calling the InstallDriver() in the software setup rather than dynamically) ?
Posted: 01/04/2010 11:38:56

No, installation of the driver is a procedure that must be performed once rather than each time. And you need to remember that administrator rights are needed to install the driver, so if your application is run from under the limited account, installation will fail.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 11313 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!