EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

RebootNeeded

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 10/08/2009 20:17:28
by Kent Briggs (Standard support level)

Under what circumstances would the RebootNeeded parameter return True in the InstallDriver() and UninstallDriver() functions? I've tested the trial version on XP-32, Vista-64, and Win7-32 and it always returns False.

Is there any harm in my app just installing the driver each time it starts and uninstalling when it closes? That way I wouldn't have to worry about leaving the driver behind if the end-user uninstalled my app. But of course that's not practical if reboots are ever needed.
Posted: 10/09/2009 00:13:28
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Kent Briggs wrote:
Under what circumstances would the RebootNeeded parameter return True in the InstallDriver() and UninstallDriver() functions? I've tested the trial version on XP-32, Vista-64, and Win7-32 and it always returns False.

If the driver is loaded when you attempt to install another version of the driver, you'll get RebootNeeded set to true.

Kent Briggs wrote:
Is there any harm in my app just installing the driver each time it starts and uninstalling when it closes?

Driver installation and deinstallation requires administrative privileges, which means that this approach won't work under restricted accounts (not Administrator). This is one of the reasons why you should install and uninstall the driver during installation and deinstallation of your application.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 3059 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!