EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Multiple disks

Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.
Posted: 11/05/2014 06:32:55
by Daniel Öberg (Basic support level)

Hello,

How can you create and use multiple disks (at the same time)? Is it possible?
Should you call Initialize with different names or how todo it? As I understand CreateStorage can only create one storage.

Is it possible to find with storages are used? I mean if I create random names in Initalize and my software crashes, can I reconnect to active storages?

Thanks,
Posted: 11/05/2014 06:56:47
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Just create several instances of CallbackDisk class.

The name in Initialize method is used to distinguish between installations of the driver. It must correspond to the name used with Install() method, so you just won't be able to use different names in Initialize.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/05/2014 07:07:41

And the second question?

Can I reconnect to a disk after my program have crashed?
Posted: 11/05/2014 07:14:27

I don't understand what you mean by "reconnect to storages". CallbackDisk doesn't have storages (unlike SolFS, for example). If the application crashes, virtual disks magically disappear from the system. On the next start your application creates new objects.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/05/2014 07:19:29

Aha.. I didn't thought the device driver and the program was so hard linked. I managed in the Memdsk sample to get orphand disks. But I assume that was only the mount point left behind.
Posted: 11/05/2014 07:23:09

The driver detects that the master user-mode process is gone because disks make no sense without that process. The mounting points must go away as well. Can you please describe how exactly you managed to keep mounting points with MemDisk?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 11/05/2014 07:29:48

That was very easy, and reproducable.

I just compiled the sample c++, and started it.
Create storage
Create media. 2048.
Formatted the drive with default.
Killed the process in the task manager.

If you Close the app I saw that you handle removal of media and delete of storage, but killing it will leave a "Local disk" with a question mark on in Windows Explorer.
Posted: 11/05/2014 07:32:30

Thank you very much for the detailed description of the problem.

Let's continue in HelpDesk ( https://www.eldos.com/helpdesk/ ) please. I have created a new support ticket based on your above message. You will see your (and only your) support tickets by following this URL. You will also get e-mail notifications about updates related to your support ticket.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.

Statistics

Topic viewed 6196 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!