EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Practical to make a Windows GUI application interface to CallbackDisk?

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 10/05/2012 12:17:37
by Rich Van Gaasbeck (Standard support level)

Is there anything going on behind the scenes in a Windows GUI application that uses operations that are not allowed within a CallbackDisk callback? As long as I make sure any file I/O I'm explicitly performing is unbuffered, is there anything else in the wizard generated code, or whatever, that might make connecting an application to CallbackDisk impractical?
Posted: 10/05/2012 12:36:28
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

It depends on what the GUI will do. Usually UI of the application is kept within the main thread, while callbacks are handled by worker threads, so UI is not directly involved in callback handlers. If your callback handler sends a message to the UI to do some job and waits for UI to return, then certain actions in UI can cause a problem. But we can't give a definite list of what is forbidden cause this is OS- and application-dependent. Buffered local disk IO is forbidden and also accessing the virtual disk from the callback is forbidden (as it would cause a deadlock).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 2324 times

Number of guests: 2, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!