EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

visible or hide virtual disks

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 04/18/2012 20:12:14
by camin920 (Basic support level)

How do I visible or hide virtual disks
Posted: 04/19/2012 04:59:26
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Please explain what you need to do. If you add a drive letter mounting point, the disk is visible. If you mount a disk to UNC path, the disk won't be visible as a drive letter (but will be still accessible via UNC path). This is described in details in Mounting Points topic in the help file.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 07/08/2013 05:17:34
by Roman Petlitsky (Basic support level)

Can I show or hide my virtual disk in real time and to constantly have access to it?
Posted: 07/08/2013 05:39:34
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

It's possible by calling AddMountingPoint and DeleteMountingPoint at time you want to show and hide your virtual disk. For example:
1. Create a virtual disk by calling CreateStorage and then MountMedia.
2. In order to have constant access to the created virtual disk create a "hidden" mounting point by calling AddMountingPoint("qwerty", CBDISK_SYMLINK_SIMPLE, NULL) or AddMountingPoint(";server_name;share_name", CBDISK_SYMLINK_NETWORK, NULL). In the first case the mounting point will be accessible only via some system API, like win32 CreateFile. For example here is a C++ snippet to open a file "1.txt" via such mounting point: CreateFile("\\\\.\\qwerty\\1.txt", ...). Unfortunately such mounting point doesn't work with shell API (i.e. for example in Explorer you won't be able to access the disk via such mounting point) and in some other situations. In the second case the disk can be accessible by the use of UNC path (i.e. via "\\server_name\share_name").
3. At the time you want to show disk to users call AddMountingPoint("X:") and a drive letter will be created and visible in the system.
4. When you want to hide disk call DeleteMountingPoint("X:") and the drive letter disappears.

Topic viewed 4227 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!