EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Fixed vs Removable disks

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 05/18/2010 07:31:17
by Allen Saunders (Basic support level)

I take it that CallbackDisk represents removable disks only.

I have the need to represent a fixed hard disk -- is there any way I can use CallbackDisk to do this?
Posted: 05/18/2010 07:54:13
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Unless you set StorageCharacteristics property to scRemovableMedia, the disk is fixed. However you indeed don't get an entry in Disk Manager snap-in in MMC. This is because physical device is not emulated. This will be supported in version 2 of CallbackDisk, which is in development now. We already have this functionality in Callback File System, so now we are porting it to SolFS Driver Edition and to CallbackDisk.

If you need this functionality now, maybe you can make use of Callback File System. It's slightly different as it doesn't work with disk images, but with files. However, in some scenarios it would work as a replacement for CallbackDisk.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/19/2010 12:22:55

I do not set scRemovableMedia, although I do set scReadOnlyDevice. The type is then set to stDisk.

It still shows up as a removable disk. As in the title of the disk will be like "Removable Disk (X:)" in explorer.
Posted: 05/19/2010 13:49:43
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Are you setting StorageCharacteristics before the CreateStorage call? If not then try in this order.
Posted: 05/19/2010 15:33:57

I am calling

Code
SetStorageCharacteristics( CallbackFileSystem::scReadOnlyDevice )

before calling

Code
CreateStorage
AddMountingPointEx
MountMedia

Other ideas?
Posted: 05/20/2010 09:22:48
by Volodymyr Zinin (EldoS Corp.)

Unfortunately I can't reproduce the problem. As I understand you are trying Callback File System. Please specify its version and version of Windows (including if it's 32- or 64-bit).
Thanks.
Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.

Statistics

Topic viewed 5205 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!