EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Uninstalling older driver versions via newer API dll versions

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 09/09/2015 06:20:19
by Chris Spiteri (Standard support level)

Hello,

Is it possible to use, for example, version 3.1.90 of the API dll to uninstall driver version 3.1.89 which was installed using v3.1.89 of the API?

Preliminary tests with these version numbers seem to fail, i.e. driver is not uninstalled. I'm using the CallbackFilter.UninstallDriver(..) sdk call.

The same call from api dll v.3.1.90 works fine when installing and uninstalling v 3.1.90 of the driver.

Can you assist?

Thanks and best regards,
Chris
Posted: 09/09/2015 06:44:05
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Deinstallation should work with any version within the same release (i.e. all 3.x versions). There were no changes recently that would cause the behavior like you are describing.

Did you do tests on one system? We use the reference counting for drivers, where each application identifies the installation, and during deinstallation the "installation" is removed, but not the driver itself. And if there are no more installations in the system listed, then the driver is removed. Most likely your problem is related to this fact - maybe you installed the driver with different GUID/Program names (the parameter in InstallDriver method), and then, when you uninstalled the driver with one program name, there was another program name listed in the registry.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/09/2015 08:08:12

Thanks for your reply. I will repeat tests as you suggest and will let you know how it goes. (For clarification: yes, i refer to 3.x versions throughout.)

Best regards,
Chris
Posted: 09/11/2015 05:19:05

Hello Eugene,

I did some more tests but unfortunately the problem remained.

Some additional information:
- I am using a custom-built version of the filter;
- Filter is installed in minifilter mode at altitude 387320.

This is how i tested:

1. Clean Win2012 OS with no driver installed.
2. I have 2 versions of a cmdline tool written in C#, one uses api dll v3.1.89 and installs driver v3.1.89, and the other uses api dll v3.1.90 and installs v3.1.90 of the driver. Both tools are in separate folders.
4. I use the v3.1.89 tool to call CallbackFilter.GetDriverStatus(..), which returns with DriverInstalled=false.
3. I install driver v3.1.89 using the tool with api v3.1.89, via a CallBackFilter.InstallDriverEx(..) call. Driver installs fine and works.
4. I use the second tool with api dll v3.1.90 to uninstall the driver (v3.1.89) via a CallbackFilter.UninstallDriver(..). Uninstallation fails with an exception message 'The operation completed successfully'. Driver v3.1.89 is still present: if i call CallbackFilter.GetDriverStatus(..), it returns DriverInstalled=true and version info as 3.1.89.
5. I use the first version of the tool with api dll v3.1.89 to uninstall driver v3.1.89. Uninstallation succeeds.

Essentially i need to be able to to use v3.1.90 of the api to uninstall driver v3.1.89, i.e. uninstall older driver versions using newer api dll's.

I would appreciate your assistance on the matter.

Thanks and best regards,
Chris
Posted: 09/11/2015 05:54:58

We had a similar report (was it yours?) about the exception with such message. It happens when the driver can not be uninstalled supposedly because it's locked.

Build 3.1.91 (available to you via My Control Center) contains a fix for the error message and should shed the light on why deinstallation fails. You are welcome to update to this build - it will give us at least the information about what causes deinstallation to fail.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/11/2015 06:03:44

Thanks, i will try the latest build v3.1.91 and will let you know.

(I don't recall filing a report about that exception message, but i don't exclude it, as some months ago i remember troubleshooting some challenging issues in the HelpDesk.)

Best regards,
Chris
Posted: 09/11/2015 06:18:45

Chris Spiteri wrote:
(I don't recall filing a report about that exception message, but i don't exclude it, as some months ago i remember troubleshooting some challenging issues in the HelpDesk.)

That report was made last week and the developers should have addressed it in the latest build update (3.1.91).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 09/11/2015 10:32:48

Hi Eugene,

No it wasn't me then.

With regards to the uninstall issue, it seems to have been fixed in v3.1.91 of the filter. I ran the same tests as above, this time with v3.1.90 and 3.1.91, and i was able to uninstall filter v3.1.90 (custom-built, minifilter mode installation) using v3.1.91 of the api. No exceptions were returned.

Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Best regards,
Chris
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 4015 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!