EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

.NET development question

Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.
Posted: 08/12/2015 17:37:19
by Christian Aagaard (Basic support level)

We are a small software company making document management systems, and we are looking for a component like your CallbackFilter. I have been reading your forum and downloaded your samples.

We have the following "requirements":
1. We need to get notified when a file is opened and closed on a the local drive in a specific folder. (After the file is closed we are saving it to a database and removing it from the local folder)

2. we need to distribute callbackfilter in a click-once installment. (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/t71a733d.aspx)

3. we have customers in the Nordic countries

Is this possible with callbackfilter (nr. 1 and 2) and what kind of licens do we need and what will the price be?

thanks.
Posted: 08/12/2015 17:50:21
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you for your interest in our products.

Christian Aagaard wrote:
1. We need to get notified when a file is opened and closed on a the local drive in a specific folder. (After the file is closed we are saving it to a database and removing it from the local folder)

This is exactly what CallbackFilter offers.

Christian Aagaard wrote:
2. we need to distribute callbackfilter in a click-once installment. (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libra...733d.aspx)

The description says that the application works in restricted per-user requirement. This can not be done when the filter driver is installed because kernel-mode drivers are system-wide.

what kind of licens do we need and what will the price be?

You would need a vendor license. The package depends on when exactly you need to remove the file - should this be done immediately or some delay (up to several seconds usually) is accepted. The price can be calculated on https://www.eldos.com/cbflt/calc.php

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/13/2015 00:49:46

Thank you for the quick reply.

The description says that the application works in restricted per-user requirement.

I think we have to make a proof-of-concept on this. Just to be sure.

The package depends on when exactly you need to remove the file

Several seconds is ok. But what do you mean by "the package depends"? Is a difference between lite and professionel edition?

Thank you.
Posted: 08/13/2015 01:41:18

Christian Aagaard wrote:
But what do you mean by "the package depends"? Is a difference between lite and professionel edition?

You have checked the package comparison chart, haven't you?

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/13/2015 02:12:30

I have checked the comparison chart. So if the "several seconds" is ok then I do not need the "Synchronous callbacks" functionality, right?

Instead of distributing the component in a clickonce, is it possible to make a server-side service which then monitor a share on the server? So instead of "check out" files on the local pc, we check out (copy) files to the server-share and the user open/close the files from this.
The flow would then be:
1. user click a file in our application (when they whish to edit it)
2. our server-side services then copies the file to the server-side share and send the share/file path back to the client/application.
3. the client/application opens the file in ex. word
4. when the user are done editing the file, the user just save and close the file.
5. when the file is closed the callbackfilter should be "notified" and our services then have the logic to save the file back to the database and remove it from the share.

Is this possible with callbackfilter? So we do not have to distribute the component with the client application?

Thank you so much for your quick replies.
Posted: 08/13/2015 11:42:54

Christian Aagaard wrote:
So if the "several seconds" is ok then I do not need the "Synchronous callbacks" functionality, right?

Yes, this is correct.

Christian Aagaard wrote:
Instead of distributing the component in a clickonce, is it possible to make a server-side service which then monitor a share on the server?

Let's check if I understand your configuration right. You have a disk on the server within a LAN. The server shares the disk by means of SAMBA, NFS etc. . The disk is mapped by one or more clients. The users on the client© open the files that reside on this mapped drive(s) and modify them. You need to track the changes made by the clients.

If this is correct, then you can install your solution on the LAN server (the one that shares its disks) and run CallbackFilter driver there. This is the proper place to track file changes, BTW, - much better than installing CallbackFilter to each client computer.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 08/14/2015 02:25:08
by Massimiliano Saponaro (Basic support level)

Hi Eugene.
I would like to realize a similar solution, and I made many tests on the component CallbackFilter.
I noticed that the closing event of a file is triggered many times when I do a simple click on the file or when the file is opened.
What is wrong?
I used the example provided by you during installation.
Can you help me? If the component works in this way it is not usable.

Thank you!
Posted: 08/14/2015 11:28:02

The files in a directory are opened when you navigate to this directory with Explorer. Explorer reads the file metadata this way.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: RawDisk
Access locked and protected files in Windows, read and write disks and partitions and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 5958 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!