EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Can I detect and prevent a copy operation from happening?

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 06/22/2015 00:38:13
by Dimitrios Koubaroulis (Standard support level)

Hi,

I would like to use CallbackFilter to detect if a file or folder copy operation is requested by the user, detect the source and destination paths, perform some action (e.g. log the copy attempt) and silently cancel the copy operation. I would like to do this for copying within the same drive and across drives where a move (e.g. drag and drop) operation is treated as a copy by Windows.

Note: I know I can get 'OnCreate' notifications but (unless I am missing something) at that time the file/folder has already been created in the destination folder and have to delete it myself.

Is what I want possible with CallbackFilter?

Thanks,
Dimitri
Posted: 06/22/2015 02:24:56
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Dimitri wrote:
I would like to use CallbackFilter to detect if a file or folder copy operation is requested by the user,

Sorry to disappoint you but there's no "copy operation" in the OS. So you can't track it. This is a common question and the answer is "no way regardless of the tool".

Dimitri wrote:
Note: I know I can get 'OnCreate' notifications but (unless I am missing something) at that time the file/folder has already been created in the destination folder and have to delete it myself.

That's so for OnCreateFileN notification. OnCreateFileC is called synchronously before the file is created.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 1753 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!