EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Question on reboot upon installation

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 03/04/2015 08:17:13
by Chris Spiteri (Standard support level)

Hello,

The InstallDriver call returns a boolean flag to indicate whether a reboot is required for the installation to take effect.

Below are some questions that we have:

1. What conditions would trigger a reboot?
2. If the filter is installed on a clean environment, will a reboot be required?

Regards,
Chris
Posted: 03/04/2015 08:27:21
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

Chris Spiteri wrote:
1. What conditions would trigger a reboot?

When installed over the existing installation or installing over just uninstalled version.
Chris Spiteri wrote:
2. If the filter is installed on a clean environment, will a reboot be required?

Usually not.
Posted: 03/04/2015 09:26:37

Is it possible to provide more clarifications on why a reboot is required on particular occasions? We seem to understand that minifilter drivers can be loaded via Win32 API FltLoadFilter calls without a reboot being required. Is it possible to call FltLoadFilter to avoid having to reboot?
Posted: 03/04/2015 09:36:21

Minfilters may be loaded/unloaded without reboot. Legacy filter drivers cannot. When you switch CallbackFilter mode to/from minifilter/legacy mode reboot is required.
Posted: 03/06/2015 04:30:24

Our product will use the cbfilter in minifilter mode at an altitude which we specify, and it is going to be used in business continuity scenarios where a reboot is infeasible most of the time.

Some new questions we have are:

1. Why is a reboot required exactly? Is there a process that goes on which we can trigger manually without having to reboot?

2. Is there a way to install or uninstall the driver without having to reboot at all, for e.g. by using the Win32 API call FilterLoad or by using a .inf file and execute "RUNDLL32.EXE SETUPAPI.DLL,InstallHinfSection DefaultInstall 132 path-to-inf\infname.inf" from the command line as detailed here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff557251(v=vs.85).aspx ?

Thanks
Posted: 03/06/2015 06:32:29

Chris Spiteri wrote:
1. Why is a reboot required exactly? Is there a process that goes on which we can trigger manually without having to reboot?

It is required in legacy mode only. In that mode filter in integrated in global stack of existing drivers and some of requests may be pending at the moment of unloading the filter. Driver unload is possible only in debug version for the test purposes.

Chris Spiteri wrote:
2. Is there a way to install or uninstall the driver without having to reboot at all,

I think it is possible in minifilter mode, but in current version there is not possible, I will check the code in a short to check what can be done to fix the issue.
Posted: 03/06/2015 06:44:02

I think it is possible in minifilter mode, but in current version there is not possible, I will check the code in a short to check what can be done to fix the issue.

Thank you
Posted: 03/10/2015 03:59:58

New build is already available for download. It should solve the problem with install/uninstall in mini-filter mode.
Posted: 03/12/2015 04:23:11

Hello Vladimir,

Thank you for that, we will be testing it in the coming days and will let you know how it goes.

Regards,
Chris
Posted: 03/16/2015 06:20:44

Hello,

I'm testing the new build v3.1.84.

The Install and Uninstall SDK calls seem to work fine and so far i have not encountered a reboot required.

However, the AttachFilter call is returning an exception: "The specified terminal connection driver is invalid" .

We use a recompiled, renamed version of the driver so i am not sure if this has affected/broken something. Do i need to change something in the .net dll's and recompile them?

Thanks,
Chris
Also by EldoS: CallbackDisk
Create virtual disks backed by memory or custom location, expose disk images as disks and more.

Statistics

Topic viewed 3793 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!