EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

How to create a virtual folder

Also by EldoS: SecureBlackbox
200+ components and classes for digital security, signing, encryption and secure networking.
Posted: 01/09/2015 11:52:05
by Stelios Mavridis (Basic support level)

Hello,

I am trying to implement a virtual folder using CallbackFillter in C#.

I have taken code from the "VirtualFilesCreation" sample and have tried to change it so it creates a folder instead of a file by replacing FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL with FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY:

Code
        public void CreateVirtualDirTask(Object dir)
        {
            Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandle hFile = filter.CreateVirtualFile((string)dir,
                GENERIC_WRITE | GENERIC_READ,
                FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE,
                IntPtr.Zero,
                CREATE_NEW, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY,
                IntPtr.Zero);
            LogWriteInfo("CreateVirtualDirTask("+(string)dir+")");
            CloseHandle(hFile.DangerousGetHandle());
        }

After running it , it creates an empty file instead of a folder.Is my aproach wrong?
Also i am unable to run my program when i set filter.OwnProcessFiltered to true,despite issuing the above code from a different thread.

Finally i have only implemented: OnCreateFileC,OnEnumerateDirectoryC,OnOpenFileC,OnPostCreateFileC,OnPostGetFileSizesC,OnPostOpenFileC.

In the OnCreateFileC and OnOpenFileC i have added the following code to mark virtual folders as such according to the examples/documentation , however they are not called when the virtual folder(file due to my issue) is created.

The other callbacks simply print messages for debuging purposes.
Posted: 01/09/2015 12:44:55
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

Stelios Mavridis wrote:
I have taken code from the "VirtualFilesCreation" sample and have tried to change it so it creates a folder instead of a file by replacing FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL with FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY:

CreateVirtualFile is fully identical to CreateFile win32 api. Directories cannot be created using this method. But you can create virtual directory using OnCreateFile/OnOpenFile callbacks. For example, set filter to some empty folder using mask (c:\test\*), then create directory inside folder using any available methods. When OnOpen/OnCreate callback raise, just return appropriate value in BOOL VirtualFile output parameter.
Posted: 01/09/2015 17:22:52

Thank you, this was indeed the problem.
Posted: 01/15/2015 18:23:32

After your suggestion, i used the Directory.CreateDirectory function.
It seems to create a virtual folder according to the PostOpenCallback FileAttributes.

Now however i want to create sub-folders and files inside the virtual folder.

I have the following issues:

If i try to create a sub-folder with mkdir through cmd i get the error "The parameter is incorrect"
If i try to create a sub-folder with the same code used for the first virtual folder i get the exception "Directory not found" in Directory.CreateDirectory.
I have verified that the path is valid(with code and manually).

Finally if i try to create a file with Explorer i get an infinite loop and get this series of events:

CbFltCreateFileC
CbFltOpenFileC
CbFltPostOpenFileC
CbFltCloseEnumeration
CbFltOpenFileC
CbFltPostOpenFileC
CbFltCloseEnumeration
CbFltOpenFileC
CbFltPostOpenFileC
CbFltEnumerateDirectoryC
CbFltEnumerateDirectoryC
CbFltCloseEnumeration

I also noticed that the Virtual Directory i did manage to create is marked as read only.

I assume i have to pass additional FileAttributes in the PostOpenCallback function to make the folder read and write -able?

Thank you for your time.
Posted: 01/16/2015 03:18:46

Stelios Mavridis wrote:
f i try to create a sub-folder with mkdir through cmd i get the error "The parameter is incorrect" If i try to create a sub-folder with the same code used for the first virtual folder i get the exception "Directory not found" in Directory.CreateDirectory. I have verified that the path is valid(with code and manually).

Could you confirm, that problem is reproducible with VirtualFileCreate sample ?
Posted: 01/16/2015 07:52:12

As you suggested i copied your CreateVirtualFile to CreateVirtualDir and then modified the code as such:

Code
System.Threading.Thread newThread;
                newThread = new System.Threading.Thread(CreateVirtualDir);
                newThread.Start();
                if (newThread.Join(1000))
                {
                    Console.WriteLine("Timeout!");
                }

newThread = new System.Threading.Thread(CreateVirtualFile);//This was commented
                newThread.Start();//This was commented

VirtualDir simply calls Document.CreateFolder(@"c:\Test\Folder");

The first thread creates a folder at "c:\Test\Folder", the folder is created but it is marked as read-only(see attachment).
For some reason if i use the simple Join() function(no timeout) the program freezes, i assume the thread crashes due to an exception , but Visual studio does not report anything.

The second thread is unmodified and should create a file at "c:\Test\Folder\123.txt", but it does not.

I attach the c:\Test folders properties,the c:\Test\Folder properties are similar (zero files(should be one) and folders).

[img]https://www.eldos.com/upload/forum/upload/65f/65f70c9fff85f028702b7f8b784e22a3[/img]

Posted: 01/16/2015 10:42:15

Moved to helpdesk.
Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2770 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!