EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

capturing and destroying windows messages

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 03/27/2014 05:25:23
by manish mahor (Standard support level)

Can I use callback filter in following scenario.

User clicks "Save" button on a third party software. I have handle for the software main window as well as "save as" window.

When user clicks the "save" button. I want to check which format it is saving and accordingly allow or not allow.

because the "save window" has "*.*" as a option, I have to allow only a specific format (which will be encrypted using encrypt with header sample) and stop all other formats.

Can I use call back filter to trace "save messages" generated after clicking "save as button" and filter as per my need.

Please guide.
Posted: 03/27/2014 06:24:56
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

There is a lot of open file callbacks may be triggered as a result of clicks on "Save" button. Generally, you can disable some file openings from particular process, for the files with a specific extension. Process name or process ID can be obtained with a provided by CallbackFilter class methods. You should try and check that solution. Also you can get a detailed file system log with a ProcMon tool from sysinternals.com as a support tool, in order to get an extended information about particular process activity.
Posted: 03/27/2014 07:03:14
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

CallbackFilter doesn't let you capture windows messages, neither this is a good way to determine the format of the files being saved. Imagine you have *.* as a file mask and the user specifies filename with extension. In this case the application will decide how to save the file based on chosen file extension.

On the other hand, you can inspect the extension yourself when the file is created on the disk, and judge by extension as well. You can also check what process initiated file save operation, thus inspecting extensions only for desired processes.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Topic viewed 1469 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!