EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Driver Altitude

Posted: 01/02/2014 04:19:04
by Cedric Mamo (Standard support level)

So I can adapt the source to have a different "version" of the driver running which won't conflict with any other installations.

I presume that this would involve changing the c++ source code of the driver. Would something like this be a very complex change to the driver or can it be accomplished easily? (such as, for example, simply changing the load group and an identifier)
Posted: 01/02/2014 04:57:05
by Eugene Mayevski (Team)

Creation of the custom driver involves changing certain information in about a dozen of places in the source code, changing versioninfo resources, then rebuilding the driver and helper DLLs (if needed). Also you make the changes that you need.

We provide an instruction of what needs to be changed in order to have the custom driver. Note, that it's required to change all information as specified in the instruction, in order to avoid the conflict with the original version of the driver.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/06/2017 11:14:50
by Dennis  (Standard support level)

Hi,
what's the current way of changing altitude/minifilter order for CallbackFilter? There is node cbfltfs4 in windows registry but nothing like altitude I see in fltmc output...

https://monosnap.com/file/CUpZLk8EVOtQaemwHCNVvdziLhqVj3

Thanks,
Denis
Posted: 04/07/2017 05:12:25

The altitude is specified only for the driver in mini-filter mode. This is done using Altitude property: https://www.eldos.com/documentation/cb...itude.html or in the parameter to Install method when installing the driver.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/07/2017 05:34:08
by Dennis  (Standard support level)

Thanks! I am concerned about stability of CallbackFilter together with antivirus and DFS.
Is there any recommendations regarding choosing legacy or mini-filter mode (we use callbacks and no virtual files)? If later what oder is better in relation to McAfee and DFS ?

https://monosnap.com/file/lYybYU91mP1jUuHkJHMekx7AdYoz9E

Thanks,
Denis
Posted: 05/11/2017 21:01:56
by David Arnold (Basic support level)

So, if I'm understanding this thread correctly, the *only* way I could have two different products, both using the same version of the CallbackFilter (e.g. cbfltfs4.sys) at the same time, but with *different* altitudes, is if I were to recompile and repackage my own "version" of the *sys file.

If that is correct, does that actually mean that the only way I could reliably guarantee usage of the callback filter in minifilter mode is if we purchase the source code option? I ask, since we are in the middle of evaluation of CallbackFilter, and we have potential use cases as an ISV for developing multiple products that would need the CallbackFilter driver running at different altitudes. Unless we absolutely *need* to run in legacy mode, I would much prefer that any new development we do uses minifilter mode. (Although, I guess this would apply to legacy filter mode as well, with differnt Load Order Groups...)

Thanks for any input.
Posted: 05/12/2017 02:24:46

Dennis wrote:
Is there any recommendations regarding choosing legacy or mini-filter mode

Sorry, Dennis, your post was overlooked. The legacy mode is obsolete in the Creator Update of Windows 10, and probably it will be obsolete in the updates to Windows Server 2016.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/12/2017 03:04:30

David Arnold wrote:
So, if I'm understanding this thread correctly, the *only* way I could have two different products, both using the same version of the CallbackFilter (e.g. cbfltfs4.sys) at the same time, but with *different* altitudes, is if I were to recompile and repackage my own "version" of the *sys file.

Right now your understanding is correct. We will look at how this can be addressed. No promises yet, though.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski

Statistics

Topic viewed 21165 times

none

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS business operates as a division of /n software, inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!