EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

providing different file data for reparserule access

Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.
Posted: 11/06/2013 17:26:00
by Jasmeet Chhabra (Priority Standard support level)

Hi,
I have a filter driver encryption that is encrypting files on disk in a certain folder. The folder has many files of the form *.txt. I also have setup a reparserule that redirects a file.txt.enc read to file.txt.

Given that, I am trying to do the following:
1) When file.txt.enc is read I provide the encryption version of file.txt as it is stored on the disk.
2) When file.txt is read, I provide a decrypted version of file on disk.

#2 is working. Can #1 work along with #2?

Edit:
If the above does not work, can I use the virtual file functionality to do this? In this scenario, .enc will be a virtual file that will return the encrypted version of the txt file, while the read for txt file will be decrypted as before.

Thanks,
Jasmeet
Posted: 11/07/2013 04:27:08
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

Hi,
#2 is working. Can #1 work along with #2?

I think no, because with a reparse rule provided you just open a target file.txt instead of file.txt.enc. Thus you will have a problem with in memory file representation in #1 and #2 cases.
f the above does not work, can I use the virtual file functionality to do this? In this scenario, .enc will be a virtual file that will return the encrypted version of the txt file, while the read for txt file will be decrypted as before.

It is a possible scenario, if not to use the reparse rule.
PS. I should note also, that you must have a container for the virtual file, as it is only metadata stored in CallbackFilter for the virtual files, not the actual data.
Posted: 11/07/2013 09:27:00

Ok. so, if I understand you correctly, I can do the following with virtual files:

1. When a file "file.txt" is created, I create a virtual file "file.txt.enc"
2. I encrypt the "file.txt" on disk through the normal filter callbacks as shown in your examples.
3. When process 1 reads "file.txt", I transparently decrypt and provide the decrypted "file.txt" as shown in your encrypt example.
4. When process 2 reads the virtual file "file.txt.enc", I provide the encrypted version of "file.txt" as stored on disk.

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Jasmeet
Posted: 11/07/2013 09:38:38
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

That should work.
Posted: 11/07/2013 10:28:33

Ok. So that implies that during read callbacks of a virtual file, I can read a different real file on disk and provide data based on that. I am assuming that I will have to do this using the handle provided by your CallbackFilter open call.

Thanks. That is what I want to to. If I understood incorrectly, please let me know.

Jasmeet
Also by EldoS: Callback File System
Create virtual file systems and disks, expose and manage remote data as if they were files on the local disk.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2617 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!