EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

providing different file data for reparserule access

Also by EldoS: BizCrypto
Components for BizTalk® and SQL Server® Integration Services that let you securely store and transfer information in your business automation solutions.
Posted: 11/06/2013 17:26:00
by Jasmeet Chhabra (Priority Standard support level)

Hi,
I have a filter driver encryption that is encrypting files on disk in a certain folder. The folder has many files of the form *.txt. I also have setup a reparserule that redirects a file.txt.enc read to file.txt.

Given that, I am trying to do the following:
1) When file.txt.enc is read I provide the encryption version of file.txt as it is stored on the disk.
2) When file.txt is read, I provide a decrypted version of file on disk.

#2 is working. Can #1 work along with #2?

Edit:
If the above does not work, can I use the virtual file functionality to do this? In this scenario, .enc will be a virtual file that will return the encrypted version of the txt file, while the read for txt file will be decrypted as before.

Thanks,
Jasmeet
Posted: 11/07/2013 04:27:08
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

Hi,
#2 is working. Can #1 work along with #2?

I think no, because with a reparse rule provided you just open a target file.txt instead of file.txt.enc. Thus you will have a problem with in memory file representation in #1 and #2 cases.
f the above does not work, can I use the virtual file functionality to do this? In this scenario, .enc will be a virtual file that will return the encrypted version of the txt file, while the read for txt file will be decrypted as before.

It is a possible scenario, if not to use the reparse rule.
PS. I should note also, that you must have a container for the virtual file, as it is only metadata stored in CallbackFilter for the virtual files, not the actual data.
Posted: 11/07/2013 09:27:00

Ok. so, if I understand you correctly, I can do the following with virtual files:

1. When a file "file.txt" is created, I create a virtual file "file.txt.enc"
2. I encrypt the "file.txt" on disk through the normal filter callbacks as shown in your examples.
3. When process 1 reads "file.txt", I transparently decrypt and provide the decrypted "file.txt" as shown in your encrypt example.
4. When process 2 reads the virtual file "file.txt.enc", I provide the encrypted version of "file.txt" as stored on disk.

Is that correct?

Thanks,
Jasmeet
Posted: 11/07/2013 09:38:38
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

That should work.
Posted: 11/07/2013 10:28:33

Ok. So that implies that during read callbacks of a virtual file, I can read a different real file on disk and provide data based on that. I am assuming that I will have to do this using the handle provided by your CallbackFilter open call.

Thanks. That is what I want to to. If I understood incorrectly, please let me know.

Jasmeet
Also by EldoS: Solid File System
A virtual file system that offers a feature-rich storage for application documents and data with built-in compression and encryption.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2507 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!