EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

What is virtual file function in Ver 3 beta.

Also by EldoS: Rethync
The cross-platform framework that simplifies synchronizing data between mobile and desktop applications and servers and cloud storages
Posted: 05/14/2013 02:37:28
by gwihwan Ji (Standard support level)

Hi,
What is the feature of virtual file and directory in ver 3 beta?
Can I create the same name of virtual file and directory over the same position?
Joohyun
Posted: 05/14/2013 02:50:31
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Joohyun Kim wrote:
What is the feature of virtual file and directory in ver 3 beta?

Please see http://www.eldos.com/cbflt/virtual-fi...tories.php for description.

Joohyun Kim wrote:
Can I create the same name of virtual file and directory over the same position?

Not sure that I understand the question right. You can create a file OR directory which does not exist on the filesystem. You can't override the existing file or directory (there's no need to).

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 05/14/2013 03:00:48
by gwihwan Ji (Standard support level)

You can't override the existing file or directory (there's no need to).

I'd like to override under certain situation. Do you have an idea to implement it on my side?

Best regards,
Joohyun
Posted: 05/14/2013 03:39:17

If you have a file whose contents you want to override, then see EncryptWithHeader sample - there file contents are overriden.

Replacing the file with a directory or vice versa is not supported at the moment. We will likely add this functionality (and provide the corresponding sample) in future.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/18/2013 16:53:53
by david bennett (Standard support level)

I am trying to just run your example VirtualFilesCreation program. I have the latest release Beta version (driver version 3.0.62.16) of the software. I am trying to understand what it is supposed to do. I would have thought that it would be essentially creating a virtual file system in C:/test and that any files I copied to that directory would really be shadow files that would go away when I close the program, but as far as I can tell, there is no difference in behavior.

I also have received several bizarre errors when running this, up to and including a BSOD with an error of BAD_POOL_CALLER. And it simply doesn't seem to work at all when running 32-bit Windows 7. I can start the program and attach the filter, but when I try to copy any file to the directory it reboots the system (no BSOD, just a BIOS startup screen).
Posted: 06/18/2013 22:10:36

Virtual files support is not emulation of the virtual file system as you would expect. For this one you would need to use Callback File System.

As for the crash - the sample is currently worked on and extended, so we'll address the issues arising from it in next betas.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 06/20/2013 10:14:02
by david bennett (Standard support level)

Is the behavior I saw then the expected behavior of the example (before the crash)? If so, what is a virtual file then? It seems no different from a normal file.
Posted: 06/20/2013 11:14:31
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

Virtual file does not resides physically on backup storage. When you reboot the system it disappeared. All file related structures created in memory.
Posted: 02/26/2014 06:22:21
by manish mahor (Standard support level)

i am using the virtual file system sample code. it is working fine but one prob is there virtual file is showing in directory until i take a reboot of our system
Posted: 02/26/2014 06:31:12

Please re-read the messages above. Virtual files don't exist on the disk, they don't survive even restart of your application. This is the purpose of virtual files.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.

Statistics

Topic viewed 6897 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!