EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

EncryptwithHeader Sample

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 03/19/2013 06:24:22
by Manoj Jain (Standard support level)

EncryptwithHeader Sample VC++ sample

I would like to know what should we expect from the sample, in following case

If I open an encrypted file from masked folder , edit the file, save again

What should I expect:

a. Modified file but encrypted
b. Modified normal file
c. Damaged file

My experiments shows mixed results with same file formats.

In general I found results as below:

Result [a] with docx, xlsx, pptm, txt, xlsm file formats.

Result [b] with rtf, xps formats

Result [c] with doc, xls, ppt, formats

Though files got damaged in almost all cases many times during experiment.

Please let us know what we should expect.
Posted: 03/19/2013 06:39:14
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

Thank you very much for the report.
In all cases it should work as described in a) case. For the other cases, please specify in details, how to reproduce the problem, operation system and filter paths used in test. Also should note, if you detach/attach filter during the tests, it could show file as damaged on a first time open, so it is better to set FlushFilesOnOpen = TRUE for that case.
Posted: 03/20/2013 07:26:23

See the attached jpg created using XLSX file giving complete detail of testing Callbackfilter in C++ sample

Posted: 03/20/2013 07:41:59

Thank you for the information, we will check this out as soon as possible. Please specify the exact filter mask you have used during the tests.
Posted: 03/20/2013 08:47:42

Mask used C:\test\*.*
Posted: 03/20/2013 11:13:08

I've made the first test with a pdf file (process 2). Using Adobe Reader 9.5 on Vista x32. The file was 100M approximately, file corruption not confirmed. We need a more details how did you reproduce the problem. (May be you can attach a pdf file used in tests)
Posted: 03/21/2013 00:40:34

I tested the pdf and found the file corrupted.

I then un-installed the driver, then installed again

On re-test pdf worked perfectly.

I cannot explain this behavior as I had installed the driver very recently and to best of my knowledge I have not done any other change.

Let me know few things:

Do you require "run as administrator" only for driver installation or all the time

Note: I am running the application as administrator all the time.

I will check again all other file formats reported. But I need an explanation on why driver re-installation was needed just in few days gap.

Posted: 03/21/2013 04:15:37

Administrative rights required for installation only. About re-installation, it possible that previous installation still running on a system and requires reboot for new driver binary to load. You should check RebootRequired parameter on driver installation procedure.
Posted: 03/21/2013 05:35:27

I could not understand why on re-installation pdf files work ... while other files were working fine as per report.

Also I tested 3 different pdf files ... the result is not consistent.

I will update on this issue later..
Posted: 03/21/2013 05:51:21

Did you use clear installation or install over the previous version of CallbackFilter ? In the first case it could be possible that an old version of drvier worked until reboot. Or it could be question of system caching, when you detach filter and attach again, it could load an old cached version of file. When filter attached, it tries to flush the stale data from cache depends on settings FlushFileOnOpen/FlushFileOnClose. Filter manages the file handles opened when filter attached. For the handles opened before filter attached, it could work unexpected, as any requests with such handles may skipped by the EncrypWithHandle sample, in this case UserContext field in subsequent requests will be NULL.
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Topic viewed 13948 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!