EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Question for getting the version of cbfltfs.sys

Also by EldoS: CallbackProcess
A component to control process creation and termination in Windows and .NET applications.
Posted: 03/18/2013 07:29:44
by Mia Pak (Priority Standard support level)

Hi.

If user installed the cbfltfs.sys as follows, there seems to be a need to know the version that is currently running.

1. First, Users set up (2.3.55.x) cbfltfs.sys.
2. Users have not reboot after install (2.3.57.x) cbfltfs.sys in the PC 1.

I want to check the filter's version for the next release at these situation.

Is there any method of getting the version of running filter?
Posted: 03/18/2013 07:40:46
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

Hi!
There is only one running version is possible at the same time. The running version is displayed by GetDriverStatus api. It could indicate that current version is 2.3.57 but service status may differ from "running". In that case reboot required. The only valid state for the current driver is version number + current state = "running".
Posted: 03/18/2013 08:38:05
by Mia Pak (Priority Standard support level)

With the 2.3.55 version installed, I did not reboot my computer after installing the 2.3.57 Version. After installation when I called GetDriverStatus API, 2.3.57 version was returned and the status was SERVICE_RUNNING. But Actually running version was 2.3.55 because I didn't reboot it. It seems the version that was returned by GetDriverStatus API is the version of filter binary.

I need to know how I can get the current running version of filter or get the status of reboot.
Posted: 03/18/2013 09:19:15
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

It seems the version that was returned by GetDriverStatus API is the version of filter binary.

Yes, this is the way of driver version could be obtained. When you install new version of driver, the current state of service is checked, and in the case of service running it tries to stop the service, before installing new version. In the case of service stopped successfully, InstallDriver returns FALSE in RebootRequired parameter and start a new service from the new binary file. Otherwise, when RebootRequired returns TRUE, you cannot get the running driver version, because an old binary was overwritten with a new one. And there is no way to get the currently running service driver version (you can get only the service name), if you not save this value before installing new version.

Statistics

Topic viewed 2780 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!