EldoS | Feel safer!

Software components for data protection, secure storage and transfer

Copy Paste in explorer doesn't generate events

Also by EldoS: MsgConnect
Cross-platform protocol-independent communication framework for building peer-to-peer and client-server applications and middleware components.
Posted: 04/13/2012 06:03:35
by Jason Coleman (Basic support level)

Hi there,

I have enabled both OnRenameOrMoveFileC and OnRenameOrMoveFileN for a file. If I rename it (using F2 shortcut) the appropriate event is fired. However, if I use copy/paste (CTRL-C/CTRL-V) from explorer no events are generated. Also, dragging and dropping a file is not intercepted for this file.

Any thoughts? Have I misunderstodd how this should work? If so, is it possible to add this feature?
Posted: 04/13/2012 06:16:21
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Copying is not renaming, so no wonder that you receive nothing. I can't say for sure about drag/drop.

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Posted: 04/13/2012 06:22:53
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

It should raise subsequent create/open and write callbacks in this case.
Posted: 04/13/2012 06:25:07
by Vladimir Cherniga (EldoS Corp.)

You may check the detail file system log with another tool from microsoft - procmon.
Posted: 04/13/2012 06:34:46
by Jason Coleman (Basic support level)

"Copying is not renaming, so no wonder that you receive nothing. I can't say for sure about drag/drop."

True, copying is not renaming, but the function I am using is called OnRenameOrMoveFileN/C ;-) . The question is, when you copy/paste in the same directory. A file called "Copy of ...." is created. pasting in another directory is a move. If you copy from one directory and paste into another then is it a move?

The description of the function is:

"This notification callback is called when the OS needs to rename or move the file within a file system."

The important word here is move. Should the move callback be fired when a filter file is moved in this manner?
Posted: 04/13/2012 07:13:19
by Eugene Mayevski (EldoS Corp.)

Where do you see moving? Copy/paste is copy/paste, it's not moving. A new file is created and written

Sincerely yours
Eugene Mayevski
Also by EldoS: CallbackRegistry
A component to monitor and control Windows registry access and create virtual registry keys.

Statistics

Topic viewed 1895 times

Number of guests: 1, registered members: 0, in total hidden: 0

|

As of July 15, 2016 EldoS Corporation will operate as a division of /n software inc. For more information, please read the announcement.

Got it!